Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't boot after replacing battery  (Read 3555 times)

charliebrown

Computer won't boot after replacing battery
« on: May 15, 2005, 05:57:43 PM »
 ???My friend decided to replace the cmos battery in his computer and since then Windows won't start.  Over the phone, I walked him through trying to use his emergency disk and he's getting messages that the hard drive partition can not be found-does not exist...any ideas?  
Very strange behavior.

We just did a clean install of W98SE last week.  System is as follows:

PCChips M74LMRT motherboard
Intel PIII processor
86MB RAM
8GB hard drive
Win98SE

gussery

Re: Computer won't boot after replacing battery
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 06:01:10 PM »
The BIOS probably just lost the hard drive settings.  They need to go into the BIOS and configure or auto-configure the drives.

charliebrown

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 06:20:11 PM »
The BIOS probably just lost the hard drive settings.  They need to go into the BIOS and configure or auto-configure the drives.

I thought the same as you...we did go into bios (again, over the phone) and all of the drive settings were "auto" with the floppy being first in the boot order, followed by the hard drive.  It seems that bios went to default settings after the battery was replaced.  Can't be sure until i can get the computer here to have a more thorough look-see.

???

Cary_GRant

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 02:00:04 AM »
have you tried to load the failsafe default settings on the bios?

charliebrown

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 07:42:55 AM »
have you tried to load the failsafe default settings on the bios?

I'll be doing that this morning when he drops his tower off for me to have a look...ever try talking a novice through bios screens and DOS commands over the phone?  Gives me an appreciation for tech support folks back in the 90s...must have been a good time. ::)

Cary_GRant

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 08:40:56 AM »
lol roger THAT!!! Good times indeed. ;D