Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disable "switch user" in the registry  (Read 9943 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    Disable "switch user" in the registry
    « on: May 15, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »
    Hello there

I want to get rid of the "switch user tab" at log in, as i am the only user i don't see the need for it to be there.

I don't have the group policy editor, but i know you can configure the setting in the registry, if anybody could give me instructions, on how to do it,   :)

windows vista home premium
    windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

hot dog

Re: Disable "switch user" in the registry
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »
    If you are refering to the "guest" account I don't believe it is necessary to edit the registry to remove that account.  From the Start menu, click on your user account. It should be an icon or a little square picture at the top of the Start menu.  I don't have Vista in front of me at  the moment, but try that and look for the options to "edit" or "disable" other user accounts. 

You might also try right clicking My computer>click Manage>and when Computer Management pops up, in the left pane, click on "local users and groups".  Under that, click on "users".  Then on the right side of the screen, right click on the "guest" account, click properties, and put a check in the box that says "account is disabled", save your settings and that's it.

If you are using Vista Home Premium as you said, the "Local Users and Groups" option should be there.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »
      If you are refering to the "guest" account I don't believe it is necessary to edit the registry to remove that account.  From the Start menu, click on your user account. It should be an icon or a little square picture at the top of the Start menu.  I don't have Vista in front of me at  the moment, but try that and look for the options to "edit" or "disable" other user accounts. 

You might also try right clicking My computer>click Manage>and when Computer Management pops up, in the left pane, click on "local users and groups".  Under that, click on "users".  Then on the right side of the screen, right click on the "guest" account, click properties, and put a check in the box that says "account is disabled", save your settings and that's it.

If you are using Vista Home Premium as you said, the "Local Users and Groups" option should be there.

hi, i do not have a "local users and groups" option there, i am the only user with an admin account, but i do not want to have the "switch user" tab there every time i turn the computer on,  there are no other accounts , just me.

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:06:05 AM »
      You can disable fast user switching by going to gpedit ...

Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon -> Hide entry points for Fast
      User Switching = Enabled
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »
        You can disable fast user switching by going to gpedit ...

Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon -> Hide entry points for Fast
        User Switching = Enabled

Where is Administrative Templates, i carn't seem to find it anywhere

2gb ram/32 bit/

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
          « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »
          Where is Administrative Templates, i carn't seem to find it anywhere

Hi,

I managed to find away

Navigate to the following branch.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Create a DWORD (32BIT) value named  HideFastUserSwitching by right clicking on the side of the editor and selecting new DWORD(32BIT) VALUE.

Set the value for HideFastUserSwitching to  1

Not what i was expecting , but it doe's work, and i did back up the registry before hand

2gb ram/32 bit/

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
          In the future you can just open control panel -> User Accounts. The option is there like Patio said "Fast User Switching"

I'm guessint Patio has his Start bar set in Administrator or Advanced mode I forget exactly...
          CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
            « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »
            In the future you can just open control panel -> User Accounts. The option is there like Patio said "Fast User Switching"

I'm guessint Patio has his Start bar set in Administrator or Advanced mode I forget exactly...

I have no option in user accounts for fast user switching,
            Windows vista home premium, i am in user accounts now, and there is no option anywhere, even when i unpacked the thing, there is on my xp, but not on this

2gb ram/32 bit/