Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is the best Free Download Manager?  (Read 9793 times)

02bin3

What is the best Free Download Manager?
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »
I have been running into problems with my satellite server in that they only allow 200MB/day download/uploads.  My computer is set to automatically download updates from Microsoft and Norton Anti-virus.  Apparently it downloaded 173MB a few days ago and coupled with a few smaller downloads, that put me over the top for the next 24 hours and connectivity slowed down to about 12kb!  I am still at a loss as to figure out what program downloaded 173MB????  This was done while I was not using my computer, but it was still connected to the internet.  How does one find that out?  I checked in the add/remove programs to see what, if anything, was added to Microsoft or Adobe updates and couldn't find anything.  Anyway, the satellite provider suggested that I get a Download Manager and when I Googled it there were so many choices that I had no idea which one was the most user-friendly and one that I could set to do the automatic downloads between 3:00AM and 6:00AM as that is the "free" time in the service that I use.  Any suggestions from satisfied Download Manager users out there?  Thanks in advance.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What is the best Free Download Manager?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »
FireFox has a nice one built right in...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »
    Free Download Manager.

No, seriously, that's what its called.

I don't know if it's the best per say, but I use to use it with no issues.
    Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 02:53:25 AM »
    Free Download Manager.

No, seriously, that's what its called.

I don't know if it's the best per say, but I use to use it with no issues.

I agree. I like Free Download Manager as well.
    http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 03:01:04 AM »

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »
    Fhasget is the best. I use it in conjunction with the flashgot firefox addon from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220

Download flashget here: http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm or here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashget/

You can download files like many other do but I have been able to download videos straight off youtube with firefox, and other sites that have the videos hosted in flv files easily. Some streaming video work too. Many other free download managers that I've looked at can't do that.

It uses MHT (Multi-server Hyper-threading Transportation) technique, supports various protocols. FlashGet is a freeware without any adware or spyware.

FlashGet can record Windows Media streams through HTTP, MMS and RTSP protocols.

FlashGet Features:

Record Windows Media streams (HTTP, RTSP, MMS protocol supported)
    High speed downloading: Uses MHT (Multi-server Hyper-threading Transportation) technique and optimization arithmetic and it can split downloaded files into sections and supports multipoint transfers in parallel. Moreover, the techniques (UDCT, Ultra Disk Cache Tech) can protect your hard disk and make you download more stable.
    Support HTTP, FTP, BT and other various protocols: Supports HTTP, FTP, BT, MMS, RTSP and other protocols. It is seamless between protocols and there is no need to operate manually for download switch. The One Touch technique optimizes BT download and can automatically download target files after getting seeds information, hence no need to operate again.
    Call anti-virus automatically: Call anti-virus automatically to clean virus, spyware and adware after finishing download
    No adware and spyware
    Freewaretopic=79745.0#ixzz0FtGOMnPg&A