Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What did I connect to?  (Read 2887 times)

BaRR

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    What did I connect to?
    « on: May 13, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »
    For ages, my computer has been connecting to 192.168.1.100 (or something similar) for my home network.  Today, however, my firewall asked to connect to MY network, but under the IP address 169.254.96.4.

I'm worried about WHY it switched IP addresses for seemingly no reason. It still states it's connected to my home network, however, I've never seen my computer connect to 169.254.96.4 before. I'm going to avoid logging on anywhere until I can get some help, some info would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I found out this belongs to IANA.

Quoted from their website: "As use of these numbers is untracked and unrestricted, we can not tell you who is using these numbers."

Should I be worried?
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:15:33 PM by BaRR »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What did I connect to?
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:57:34 AM »
    Although I don't recognise this particular sequence of octets, 169.x.x.x addresses are characteristic of a failed or incomplete DHCP request.  In other words, right-clicking on your network settings and choosing "repair" may resolve this.  If it doesn't consider using different means of connecting to the router - i.e. wired instead of wireless (if appropriate) or using a different ethernet cable.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

BaRR

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:34:47 PM »
      Okay, thanks. I feel better now.

However, by "Failed or Incomplete DHCP request" do you mean it didn't connect properly? Because, after it asked to connect to that number, it did in fact continue normal internet operation. Did it fix itself?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:59:26 AM »
      We'd need more information such as the output of a treaceroute.  Is your computer's IP address still set to 169.254.96.4, or has the moment passed?
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos