Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issue Installing MS Office 2007  (Read 3191 times)

kixfan

Topic Starter

Rookie

Issue Installing MS Office 2007
    « on: May 18, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
    I am trying to install Office 2007 on an HP laptop running Vista Business and has a 64KB processor. I put the disk in and it starts the install program. It tells me it can't find the Office.en-us/OfficeLR.cab file. I can physically open the disk and the file is there but when I try to guide the install to it all it shows for available files in this folder is a 1033 folder. If I try to point it to any folder except the root DVD/CD drive it tells me invalid location. The laptop is currently running Office 2003 and also has Open Office on it. Do I have to uninstall the Office 2003 first? I didn't have to on my desktop but that runs XP. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Dennis

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Issue Installing MS Office 2007
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
    Installing two versions of Office on the same computer can be tricky.  Microsoft generally recommends not doing it. Here's an article which may be helpful: Working with Multiple Versions of Office

If you have your desktop PC and laptop PC networked, you could do as I do. I have Office 2003 installed on my desktop (Win XP) and Office 2007 installed on my laptop (Vista).  The two computers are networked via my router and I have file sharing enabled.  So, if I'm using my laptop and want to open a file an Office 2003 file on my desktop, I can navigate to it via the network and open the file and work with it on laptop. When finished, I merely save it to the original desktop location.  Office 2007 automatically knows to save such files in Office 2003 file format; it immediately recognizes it is working with an Office 2003 file upon opening the file.

kixfan

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »
      Actually I'm trying to upgrade to 2007 from 2003. I don't want to keep both versions on it. On my desktop it just overwrote the 2003 and installed 2007 over top. This laptop wont even start to install. It says it cant find that cab file and when I try to point it to the file to show the program where it is it isnt there and I get invalid location for that folder.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »