Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Core2 overheating?  (Read 1858 times)

CaptainHayashi

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Core2 overheating?
    « on: May 21, 2009, 04:19:39 AM »
    Hi,

I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor from a P4 setup to an Asus P5Q Premium motherboard with Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz, 1333MT/s(?) FSB), and am having severe overheating issues.

The original stock cooler kept reporting temperatures of over 100 degrees C, and the PC kept freezing whenever I tried to log into Ubuntu and intermittently cutting power. I went to PC World and got an Akasa Evo cooler, one of those types with the fan on the side, and replaced it with that. The system seemed stable until today, but the temperature readings in BIOS have been steadily climbing even when the system is turned off (now up to about 64 degrees C), even though I've rotated the cooler (for some reason I thought sticking the fan in front of an exhaust fan would be a good idea) and scraped off lots of thermal paste (I'd never used it before, so I went quite overboard with it).

And now it's doing the same Ubuntu freeze, with the hard drive LED stuck at on. The correlations seem to suggest that the processor is beginning to overheat again, but frankly I have no idea. And if it is, is it because of the cooler again, or is my processor or fan setup to blame? (I have a ~12cm exhaust fan at the back and a small intake fan on the side, and the cooler is currently pointing down towards the expansion bays)

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance, Matt

EDIT: The processor doesn't seem to be hot at all to the touch
    EDIT2: I didn't see any dust or anything in the fansink when I removed it today, but then again it has only been in place for a couple of days. Also, lm-sensors in Linux reports far lower temperatures (constant 41C and 31-37C, I'm not sure which fans it's referring to though)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Core2 overheating?
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 04:27:59 AM »
    You should re-seat the cooler and apply new thermal paste properly after cleaning off the old paste.
    If neither the CPU or heatsink are hot, the temperature sensor may well be faulty.
    There's no way temperatures should climb that high, whether the fans are installed properly or not - the only ways I can imagine that could happen would be a faulty sensor, very bad thermal paste application, or the cooler making bad or no contact with the chip.