Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows movie editor help  (Read 2617 times)

Ragon

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows movie editor help
    « on: May 20, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »
    So My girlfriend made a video using Windows Vista's Windows movie editor. She used a lot of small video clips and they all work perfectly and showed up just fine. After we published it though some of the video clips showed up as black. It still had the audio we had set up during those clips but it just only showed black where a couple of the videos should have been. All of the videos where done with the same camera, same format, and had all the same setting. We don't know how to fix this or even what is going on that is the problem. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows movie editor help
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:25:12 AM »
    1. First of all ... what kind of video files are you attempting to use? (avi, mpg, what is it?) I am asking about those video you say is coming off of your camera

2. Did you test out video files in a media player like window media player and it play perfectly fine with the audio and sound you expect? For video playback, I would definitely install klite codec pack into your pc, as well as standalone divx and xvid codec and that should handle almost all major video file types. If klite codec pack installer tell you to disable or uninstall divx or xvid codec to prevent issues, keep the codecs on but disable ok.

3. These are filetypes supported by windows xp's version of windows movie maker, but I assume windows movie maker of vista also support same file  types. I have only been using wmv, avi and mpeg files recently with the windows movie maker of vista.
    Video files: .asf, .avi, .wmv
    Movie files: MPEG1, .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2
    Audio files: .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
    Windows Media files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv
    Still images: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .gif
    MP3 format audio: .mp3

Check it out and let us know what you find so we can assist you in troubleshooting your problem, but apparently as you see from above, we need more info to figure out what your pc is doing or what you are doing on your pc.

Ragon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:15:48 AM »
      I am using .avi and stand alone the videos play perfectly. Even in the editor themselves they work perfect. its only after we "publish" it does it not show up. And i allready am using divix for codex purposes. Thank you again for any help anyone can offer.

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 01:19:43 AM »
      I am using .avi and stand alone the videos play perfectly. Even in the editor themselves they work perfect. its only after we "publish" it does it not show up. And i allready am using divix for codex purposes. Thank you again for any help anyone can offer.

ok, i am wondering what happen if you convert original videos to different format? Would you still be getting same problem as before in the windows media maker? Give that a shot.

Ragon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 01:33:37 AM »
        Im willing to try that but its on my girlfriends laptop and thats at her house so i cant do it till tomorrow. I doubt it will work though since all the files are the same type and they all work. Except those couple that is.

2x3i5x

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 01:46:30 AM »
        Im willing to try that but its on my girlfriends laptop and thats at her house so i cant do it till tomorrow. I doubt it will work though since all the files are the same type and they all work. Except those couple that is.

I don't know how your pc will respond to it because I'm not at your pc. But if that works then, something's fishy with your video files. At least there's one start.

Ragon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »
          Okay so after some testing it publishs just fine alone but not in the video lol.  So i tried converting it like you said and it worked!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much you are awesome!

2x3i5x

Expert
          « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »
          Okay so after some testing it publishs just fine alone but not in the video lol.  So i tried converting it like you said and it worked!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much you are awesome!

Glad it worked. I don't understand why your video doesn't work if it supposedly is a non broken, supported file by the movie maker. But as long as it works after you have converted first, I'm glad!!!  ;D