Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need urgent help  (Read 14980 times)

TroyScotland

need urgent help
« on: May 18, 2005, 10:07:03 AM »
hello, my name is chris
today my msn didnt load so i restarted my computer,then it wud load my desktop,icons everythin,but when i moved cursor on taskbar the clocktimer came up and i could not select anything at all. so i decided the only action i could take was use my advent disk to restore my computer.by doing this it sets it back to factory settings but keeps all my old things in "My Old Disk Structure" now heres my problem. i an browse through everything in it except "chris" the folder,this is where i keep my music,my pictures etc..it is located in my documents and settings. as i said everythin is assessible except this foler,the one i need most because of pictures etc. when i try to open it is says access denied,so i look in properties and is says read-only. i try changing it but nothing happens,i cant even do a search on the folder itself, please any solutions people
thank you, chris

hywaydave

Re: need urgent help
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 10:39:13 AM »
Have you tried logging into the computer with an account that has administrative rights?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:16:14 AM »
Troy:

What operating system are you using?  If it is 2000 or XP Pro, you may be able to log on as the default administrator and take control of the My Documents folder for the chris user account.

Also, please click the Advanced button of the My Documents Properties and let us know if "Encrypt contents to secure data" is checked.  One more thing: Is there a Security tab next to the Sharing tab of the My Documents Properties?

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 11:18:29 AM by pcdoc4christ »

TroyScotland

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:27:29 AM »
thank you for your replies.
i checked i am set as the computer administraitor myself.
http://img93.echo.cx/img93/779/helpss2pd.jpg
tht is a screen shot about the encryption

and the 3 tabs are general,sharing,customise.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »
is this pc networked!

TroyScotland

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 01:53:17 PM »
no see i live in a little villiage in scotland which is useless so we only have 1 available ISP. it is wireless broadband and i think its a wireless lan across whole villiage. dnt kno really.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 01:58:05 PM »
sorry troy.........is it home networked..........do you share your pc with the family/friends.......http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q307859/

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm
or start pc hold down the f8 on boot ....chose the last good config........
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 02:01:51 PM by merlin_2 »

TroyScotland

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 03:18:10 PM »
no m8 it is only me that uses it.

and i got lost in the second one,do not know which 1 to choose ???

help is appraciated ty

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 03:22:27 PM »
Can you update the situation:is this winxp!........your restore has re-installed old files......did  you restore disk give you any options! like save old files etc.......do you need these files??>>http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/oem/Advent/advent_pc.htm
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 03:24:25 PM by merlin_2 »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 05:22:03 PM »

<----- always wanted to visit Scotland, because he's 1/5 Scottish (he thinks!)  ;D

Troy:

Merlin and i still need to know: Does your computer  have Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition installed? (your answer will likely determine how to approach the problem).

Regards,
Doc

TroyScotland

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »
sorry guys its windows xp home
and i used my  "advent restore disk" and the option i selected set it to factory settings ans stored my files in "my old disk structure" folder and yes i need them lol there is 1500 songs and pictures i want.

the strange thing seems to be tht when i put my cursor over it,it says 0kb... but i know that i tored them in there and it says tht there in there! :-/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 09:22:58 AM by TroyScotland »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 10:43:54 AM »
...now heres my problem. i an browse through everything in it except "chris" the folder,this is where i keep my music,my pictures etc..it is located in my documents and settings. as i said everythin is assessible except this foler,the one i need most because of pictures etc. when i try to open it is says access denied... .

Chris:

Please try this: Log on to the computer with an administrator user account.  Right-click the Chris folder, then click the Advanced button of Chris Properties and see if "Encrypt contents to secure data" is checked.  If it is, click on the checkbox to remove the checkmark, and wait for Windows to apply the changes, and then restart your computer and try to access the contents of the chris folder.

Regards,
Doc

« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 10:49:57 AM by pcdoc4christ »

TroyScotland

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 11:17:56 AM »
i am the admin. and tht checkbox is not darkened,it is faed so i cant select,or unselct it. it isnt checked anyway.

TroyScotland

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 10:28:31 AM »
any ideas?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 09:42:40 AM »
Chris:

Sorry for the delay.  I've been putting a resume together as my employer informed me the positions of everyone in my job classification will be eliminated in July.

OK, i'm afraid i have some bad news.  It's likely that your problem is that Windows XP was configured to make the My Documents folder for the chris user account private.  What that means is that only the owner of that account (and the operating system) may access the documents within that folder and its subfolders. In XP Home Edition, other administrators may not change this as they are able to do in Windows XP Professional.  For additional information, see this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

The only way to access the folders is to log on as chris, but i'm unsure if the system restoration you completed has made this user account inaccessible.  This may be an ignorant question, but are you still able to log on as chris?

Regards,
Doc

PS. There are other ways to try to access the folder.  These would involve upgrading your system to XP Professional, or removing the hard drive of your computer and installing it as a slave in another computer that has Windows XP or 2000 as it's operating system.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 09:58:00 AM by pcdoc4christ »