Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need urgent help  (Read 14972 times)

TroyScotland

Re: need urgent help
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 01:45:44 PM »
not ignorant at all nah,i restored the computer fully so there aint a user called chris anymore. i renamed is piece of sh*te in frustration. :-/

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 09:15:23 PM »
Chris:

The files are encrypted using Microsoft's Encrypted Files System (EFS).  Part of the digital "key" needed to "unlock" the files can only be accessed through the chris user account.  If you can't log on as chris, you can't get to the files.  You've, in essence, locked the door to the filing cabinet and thrown away the key.

However, (as i mentioned above) if you install the upgrade to Windows XP Professional, you should then be able to disable simple file sharing and access security settings.  You will then be able to take control of the folders and files once more.  

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Doc

TroyScotland

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 04:43:02 AM »
ok np, i now realise when i restored my pc, it wipes all the users, so when it starts up again i get the windows info telling me to enter pc name etc. but thnk u all so much for your help. very kind of  you.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2005, 11:56:06 AM »
Chris:

Thank you for the chance to help.  Sorry i could not offer more.

Regards,
Doc

merlin_2