Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable To Get Back My Volume  (Read 3187 times)

Squallman

Topic Starter

Starter

Unable To Get Back My Volume
    « on: May 26, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »
    Hi Guys,

I have no volume on my computer, I have tried everything I think.

Here's what I have so far. In Sounds and Audio Devices, The volume tab is completely grayed out and can't pick anything as The sound devices.

Under the sound tab I have a theme picked for my computer sounds and it is not grayed out.

Under the audio tab, the drop downs are not grayed out but it has a device selected that doesn't play sound in Sound Playback & Sound Recording, it says Modem #6 Line Playback & Modem #6 Line Record. The device in the Midi Music Playback is my audio device SB Audigy 2 Synth B [DF00], The audio device in this section allows me to hear my mp3 player run through my computer speakers, when I plug it into the headphones on my computer.

In the voice Tab, I again have Modem #6 for both Voice playback and voice record. Again the system tells me that this cannot play sound. However, there is no other option in the drop down boxes where ever Modem #6 is installed.

I have no volume icon on task bar. I have extracted the sndvol32 from my original XP CD, and the files are inside system 32. Yet it still doesn't open up the volume control tab inside Sounds and audio devices.

I have tried changing the decimals to 5 in the sound device through the registry. That did not work.

I believe I need to get the Volume control Tab working so I can pick and audio device. But I have tried everything.

Do I have to redefine the PATH to Volume Control perhaps? And how would one do that? I have tried to reinstall Volume Control going through add and remove programs, but inside the Components Wizard, Multimedia is not there. It says that Volume Control is a component inside Multimedia, but if it's missing how do I get to it?

Any help at all would be appreciated, even if it's only suggestions, I have tried everything I could think of and all the things Microsoft said to do and I can't get my Volume back.

I would try to repair it through my Windows XP CD however, I can not get into it unless I can find a floppy drive big enough to hold the 7.33 MB Sata drive download that the CD needs to find my hard drive.

Big Thanks to anyone that has a suggestion, just so I have something else to try, because I am at a complete loss now...

Additional Information: XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, AVG Anti-Virus, Windows Firewall, Windows Media Player 11, Dell Dimension XPS Generation 2, Internet Explorer 7

Thanks David

hiinoon12

Rookie

Re: Unable To Get Back My Volume
      « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:56:31 PM »
      I had same problem with mine. It said missing driver or something to that effect. I got back sound by adding a sound card (soundblaster) but whenever I went online it would shut down with me within 5 or 10 minutes so I'm back to no sound again.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:43:54 AM »
      Have you tried doing a System restore to before the problem started?
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000589.htm
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

Squallman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:31:19 AM »
        Hi JJ,

Cute Doggie Icon  :)

Yes I have tried a system restore, unfortunately every save point I choose says can not restore to that date.

It is very frustrating but have not been able to find a date it will restore too.

Thanks again for the suggestion.. I welcome any more  :)

Dave

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:15 AM »
        Have you tried system restore in safe mode?
        Do you have any symantec programs installed?(Norton antivirus, Ghost, etc..)

Click Start then Run and type in sfc /scannow and press enter.
        Have your Windows CD handy - it will ask for it.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

hiinoon12

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:10 AM »
          I haven't tried to fix again yet but there is a good place to start on fix here under "Free Help" then go under the question and answers covers this topic pretty good I think anyways.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:48:13 AM »
          Having installed sndvol32, what happens if you run it?

Have you tried reinstalling the Audigy drivers?
          Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Squallman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 02:33:11 PM »
            HI JJ, & Rob,

Thanks for continuing to help me.

I have not tried a system restore through safe mode yet, I will give that a shot, But I think I am not going to be sucessful there, seems anything to do with my hard drive and my Windows XP CD, seems to fail because it can't find my hard drive without the Sata drivers.

But I will give it a shot, Thanks JJ.

Rob, I click on the sndvol32.exe and it says, there are no audio mixers installed for this program, this program will now close.

The exe file is in system 32 with 4 other files named sndvol32. one is an html help page the others are HL files and similar files.

I have installed re-installed the drivers for Augidy several times, and went to the Dell site and got updated chipsets and sound audio driver updates and all.

When I un-install them , and restart they do re-install the drivers for Audigy, however , when I check it is back only where it was , in the MIDI drop down and not in any other tabs inside Audio sound devices.

I have updated and rescanned for the driver updates through Hardware devices section and nothing works.

I finally uninstalled all the audigy files and went and got a new version of Audigy that was released in 2006, with, I forget the term right now but something like system 4 drivers or something, it was compatible with my system.

I installed this new Audigy program and it installed and it does the same thing as the old one, only appies itself to the same midi section inside audio sound devices.

The volume tab is still grayed out.

I have been at this for almost 4 weeks, I have exhausted every angle and I have spent a fortune buying these programs that claim to fix these exact problems, after I purchase it, they do nothing of the sort.

Anymore suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help guys!

Dave

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
            Well, after you've got a refund on those programs, I suggest you go for the repair installation.  I suspect that through the use of nLite you'll be able to incorporate your SATA drivers into the XP cabs.  Not tried it personally but the nLite gurus should be able to help out with that.  I don't see you resolving this any other way, I'm afraid.
            Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

hiinoon12

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »
              I'm still strugling with the sound issue myself so please be sure to let us know when or if a fix is found... Is yours by chance a Dell ???