Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DDoS Attack Leaves Five Chinese Provinces Without Internet  (Read 13280 times)

kpac

Topic Starter
  • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Millions of Chinese Internet users from the Shanxi, Guangxi, Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Hebei provinces had trouble getting online on Tuesday, because of a domain name system (DNS) chain reaction caused by an initial denial of service attack against a single provider.

Link

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
Re: DDoS Attack Leaves Five Chinese Provinces Without Internet
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:28 AM »
Hmm pretty interesting and a pretty significant attack. Hate how something as simple as a DoS attack can cause such havoc.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »
Hmm pretty interesting and a pretty significant attack. Hate how something as simple as a DoS attack can cause such havoc.
I wonder if LOIC was used...
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »
    That sucks, the sad thing is that I have some clue maybe how they done it, not going to say how I came accrossed it since I find it pointless to use something like that.  Also, I noticed that when I was shearching for Dos based programs I came accrossed things close but worse then cloner.  So that stuff isnt hard to get.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »
    DDOS is unrelated to the DOS OS.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
    Its not like the Chinese have many sites to  go to anyways.  But I cant belive a dos attack did all that! Isnt that when you have a bunch of zombie computers pretty much just pinging a server?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 03:34:55 AM »
      Oh okay I was wondering cause you started just talking of Dos.  Any how I still know which is pointless, yes it is.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

kpac

Topic Starter
      • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 03:48:22 AM »
      squall, can you please use the QUOTE feature in future?

DoS = Denial of Service

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:03:57 AM »
         ::) Disk Boot Operating System = DOS

kpac

Topic Starter
        • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:49:24 AM »
          Oh, I was refering to that which can be done in it.  Not going to say anymore about it then that.  I find that kind of racist.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 08:03:43 AM »
            Weird...Wouldn't expect a DoS to do so much damage, but would seem understandable if the servers were already taking a large burden before the attack
            If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:31 AM »
            ::) Disk Boot Operating System = DOS

err...

Disk Boot Operating System would be DBOS...

Weird...Wouldn't expect a DoS to do so much damage, but would seem understandable if the servers were already taking a large burden before the attack

take for example, how the ping command sends 32 bytes of data (by default, you can change it, but for the sake of argument let's say the "hackers" have the intellectual capabilities of a water chestnut, and don't know how).

Now, if the botnet consisted of a thosand PCs, all of those sending the ping command (which I believe sends 4 32-byte ICMP packets). that would be, of course, 32000 bytes about 31K, four times, for around 128K of data being sent every few seconds. depending on the server this might not even be noticable.

But botnets are fairly easy to grow- some botnets I believe have grown to hundreds of thousands, even millions of PCs.

In a way, it's kind of like a focusing mirror. by themselves, computers and their users might seem to simply connect, request data, disconnect, semirandomly- however, a botnet can focus say, a million PCs on sending packets to a single router at their target. 32 Million bytes of data- which is 256 megabits, even on a gigabit connection that's a good chunk of bandwidth, and it's enough to bring down any 100mbps connection.

The goal of a DOS or DDOS is simply to deny service to legitimate viewers of a site/subdomain/DNS by constantly hitting a machine with pings from a large number of sources. By essentially drowning out the legitimate traffic with their redundant ping requests, they might cause the server to start throwing up errors for legitimate users.

In other instances the motive is purely for prestige. For example the fact that Microsoft.com simply doesn't respond to ping requests is because the entire "haxor" world of calculator basic programmers just learning the basics of command prompt is constantly trying out their l337 5ki11z by using the ping command on Microsoft.com.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »
              err...

Disk Boot Operating System would be DBOS...

take for example, how the ping command sends 32 bytes of data (by default, you can change it, but for the sake of argument let's say the "hackers" have the intellectual capabilities of a water chestnut, and don't know how).

Now, if the botnet consisted of a thosand PCs, all of those sending the ping command (which I believe sends 4 32-byte ICMP packets). that would be, of course, 32000 bytes about 31K, four times, for around 128K of data being sent every few seconds. depending on the server this might not even be noticable.

But botnets are fairly easy to grow- some botnets I believe have grown to hundreds of thousands, even millions of PCs.

In a way, it's kind of like a focusing mirror. by themselves, computers and their users might seem to simply connect, request data, disconnect, semirandomly- however, a botnet can focus say, a million PCs on sending packets to a single router at their target. 32 Million bytes of data- which is 256 megabits, even on a gigabit connection that's a good chunk of bandwidth, and it's enough to bring down any 100mbps connection.

The goal of a DOS or DDOS is simply to deny service to legitimate viewers of a site/subdomain/DNS by constantly hitting a machine with pings from a large number of sources. By essentially drowning out the legitimate traffic with their redundant ping requests, they might cause the server to start throwing up errors for legitimate users.

In other instances the motive is purely for prestige. For example the fact that Microsoft.com simply doesn't respond to ping requests is because the entire "haxor" world of calculator basic programmers just learning the basics of command prompt is constantly trying out their l337 5ki11z by using the ping command on Microsoft.com.

Ahh...so the main purpose of a DoS is to simply focus the pings, which in turn floods the servers from a overload in bandwidth?
              If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:14:31 AM »
              that's the jist of it, yes. I figure it's an ongoing battle on each side, with the site/domain owner's trying to protect themselves from illegitimate traffic and at the same time let in legitimate connections, while the "hackers" learn about new switches to ping. Or something along those lines. (hey, their not capable of much- they do, after all, only possess the intellectual prowess of a water chestnut  ;D).

In order to provide them with a more thorough analysis, some companies specialize in something called "pen-testing" which essentially means that they pretend they are trying to perform a DDOS on the client or hack into their network, or something similar. By doing so, the client can learn a lot about their current security implementation, not just technology-wise, but also personnel training wise. the strongest firewalls don't help you at all if a hacker can simply phone up somebody that works there, say they are hacing login problems, facing a deadline, (throw in a few names that they got through research) and the user gives up their ID and password, giving the hacker access.

But I'm starting to get a teensy bit off-topic.