Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disabling/Removing the shutdown button on windows xp sp3  (Read 3285 times)

h0w

Topic Starter

Beginner

Disabling/Removing the shutdown button on windows xp sp3
    « on: June 02, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »
    I work on a college campus. I maintain the labs. My boss wants to be able to float the computers in the labs updates at night. All of the computers in the labs have Deep freeze. So i have been toying with the possibility, of not letting students/faculty not be able to shut down the pc's only restart. I've been searching on and off for the last day or so, and the only thing i found was to completely disable the shutdown button all together, and create a short cut to restart. which works, but i want it to be familiar for the users. so basically what i am asking is:

is there a way to disable the shutdown function when a user hits a red power button and just make restart and log off options?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced

h0w

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Disabling/Removing the shutdown button on windows xp sp3
      « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
      Thanks for the help. But not quite what I am looking for. Honestly replacing the start button would be the best/disabling the "shutdown" option when clicking the red button. There is definitely a way, maybe i might have to look into some regedit things.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      Where's MagicSpeed?
      Quote from: 'matt'
      He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:16:45 AM »
      either way.... holding the physical power button for 5 or so seconds will shut it off, regardless of settings.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

h0w

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »
        either way.... holding the physical power button for 5 or so seconds will shut it off, regardless of settings.

Yeah, I am aware of that. My efforts are just to minimize the odds that a computer will be shut down before updates are sent to the pc's.

I forgot to add to my last post. That I had tried that, and it let me shut down. So either i did something wrong or it doesn't work. I'll have to look @ it.
        « Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:35:57 AM by h0w »