Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't install Windows 95B on a Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 Virtual Machine  (Read 4467 times)

mckeownsw

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I recently bought a gently used computer (HP D530C, Pentium 4 2.66 GHz processor, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive, built-in sound, 2 CD-ROM drives (1 is R/W), and 128 MB of dedicated video RAM). It's primarily so my husband can play some old games that won't run on anything higher than Windows 95 B/OSR2. [I posted a question about what kind of computer, OS, etc. about this but can't remember which forum.]

I've installed Windows XP Pro w/SP2 and Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, with XP being the host OS and Windows 95B as the guest operating system inside a virtual machine. I've tried this three times and have gotten the same results every time:  during the Win 95 install, I get many messages like: "Cannot find file vnetsup.vxd on Windows 95 CD" and asks me to find the file elsewhere. Elsewhere is the boot floppy or the C: drive, and I look exhaustively for the files and they're nowhere to be found. I also know for sure that the files aren't on the CD because I have another Windows 95B CD and I've put it into my laptop while I'm doing the install and searched for some of the files on that copy and they aren't there either.

I can only think of two other things that could cause this problem -- my husband's computer workstation includes his "regular" computer, our all-in-one printer, etc. and the PC in question sets on the floor. There's no room for another keyboard, touchpad, and monitor, so the two computers share these items with a KVM switch.

The other is that I was told to install DOS 6.22 (or as close as possible) on the virtual machine before I install Windows 95B. So far I haven't been able to find a working copy on the Internet.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lifelong WI Badger fan

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Have you tried running the old games in DosBox?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

mckeownsw

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

No, I haven't, but that's a great suggestion. I'll try it later today.

Thanks.