Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Join our team!  (Read 78566 times)

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Join our team!
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
I joined a while back, didn't know that Computerhope started a team I was user 0 team 0 default. Jumped over a while back and now generating points for computerhope rather then default. To bad my points that I did, did not move over :(

I have 1 machine running dedicated to folding@home. Its not utilizing all CPU maybe because I got the command prompt version rather then the full client.. I found the command version to run faster then the client. Also what I am finding weird is that folding 500,000 work loads seems to take about the same time as 1,500,000 work units? Oh well might be just me considering I don't normally check on the computer and I lose track of time. its a computer just sitting in the corner. ;D

Oh and hopefully I get into the top 20, thats my goal right now.. I don't think I will be able to catch up to the top 10.. unless the people suddenly stop.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »
Glad to have you join us Windows98, I've added the F@H icon to your profile.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

grizz

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2009, 07:51:18 AM »
just started but need help i have 2006 Compaq Presario it has 2 gig ram 2.20 prosser 300 watt power supply 
i am hoping to install a new video card nvida9500gt can i and how thanks

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »
my pc seems to be folding at about 10 to 15 times the speed it was , would this be because i cleaned the

tower out after about 3 1/2 years  ;D , i'm on a 2,500 unit and at this speed it should take 3 days , before it

would have taken 3 weeks  :)

it amazed me how many dead spiders were in the tower  :rofl: and dust as well  ::)

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »
it amazed me how many dead spiders were in the tower and dust as well

That I scary.

I am loving Folding. Explaining it to people and watching my and the teams stats change is strangely fun.

With 50 people I am surprised that only about 13 people are actively folding. My core i5 and 9800GTX+ are chugging away every night and when I have classes. Even now I have 3 instenses of the CPU version going.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »
Agreed, think it's not only fun but productive at the same time. I believe that only 13 are active because a lot of the users have slower computers and maybe don't find it as fun since it takes a great length of time to complete a unit, that or maybe like most other things the newness (is that a word) of it wears off. :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
I can understand if you have a slow computer that it may take time to see results so you would louse interest,but even slow computers can make a difference when trying to rank higher than other people. Last night I set up a client on an oooooooooooold computer. It was an xp machine that got a nasty virus and would not boot. I did not really need anything on it so I put Linux on it however I never use it so now it will be chugging away even if my main system is down. It is a really slow machine. I punched some numbers and it takes ~32min. to do 1% of the work. It is probably at 15% right now after a hole nights work. I'm at school right now so my main system is going at it too. I plan on setting up my old computer (a descent single core) soon so I will add that to my pot. Some day I will surpass you all. Maniacal laughter!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:08:32 AM by Boozu »
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

Two-eyes

Intermediate
    « Reply #97 on: November 10, 2009, 11:53:25 AM »
    not if I surpass all of them first!! hehehe.
    I only have the system listed in my specs (1.73 GHz single core) and will not stop folding (unless playing AOE 3, or running anti-malware scans ;D).  Every little counts.  Also I have a personal reason for folding: my grandmother died of cancer (not sure which one) and I want to be helpful toward solving this problem.
    I believe the bushes in my yard will BURN before God picks up a PC to send a message