Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: won't see network drive  (Read 2835 times)

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    won't see network drive
    « on: June 04, 2009, 02:26:35 PM »
    As of a week ago this problem started happening.  3 node network with one system not seeing a networked drive.  2 of the systems show the n/w drive.  All running XP/ 2 w/o any SP's  / the one with all the updates is the one not seeing the drive.

N/W drive is a Buffalo Linkstation HD-HG400LAN / checked their support site and they recommended enabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP / didn't work on the pc in question / tried it on my laptop and it worked. 

System has Norton AV 2009  / tried Safe Mode with same results.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    Re: won't see network drive
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »
    In what sense can you not see the drive, Alan?  Can you ping it?  Can you access the web interface?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »
      In what sense can you not see the drive?  It is not seen in My Network Places\Explorer.  I can map a drive letter to a folder on the drive, just not see the whole drive in the one computer.

Can you ping it?  Yes.

Can you access the web interface?  Yes.  Thru the software on the computer in question I can login to the drive interface with no problem.

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:59:39 AM »
      If you browse from Windows Explorer's address bar via IP address rather than NetBIOS name (e.g. "\\192.168.1.100"), can you see all the shares?  If so, I suspect that you have a firewall issue on the one computer that can't see the drive.  Make sure that the following ports are all open: 137, 138, 139 & 1512 (tcp & udp).
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »
        Thanks Rob.  I did shut off the firewall but will double-check it next week.

Have a great weekend  ;D