Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help, bsod vista  (Read 4776 times)

rob331

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

help, bsod vista
    « on: June 20, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
    Hi, Im new, so hello all.  I must say it's a classy forum and I can tell its run by pro's.

My problem is an error 0x0000007b, and I think it's due to avast.  I ran a scan and it told me that c:\pagefile.sys was a trojan (bifrose or something like that), then it told me to move and rename the file, and I did.  Maybe that's the problem.

Also it gave me the option to run a bootup scan (at next boot) and I agreed.  Now my laptop gets only past the drivers loading and displaying the os information (I have it in verbose boot mode, where it shows what happens at boot with more detail), at that point it crashes. 

Another thing is when I go in with a vista bootcd (repair startup, I choose cmd prompt) to try and run bootrec /fixboot, I do rebuildbcd and it says no windows installation is detected.  The wierd thing is, to get to that I have to choose between win 7 and vista in the bootcd interface (after it lets you choose language, it scans and lets you choose between os's, and I see vista and 7 as options).  So the bootcd can see it to start and then I run rebuildbcd and now its not there.  poop.

anyway, please help

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: help, bsod vista
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
    From MSDN:

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    (Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
    Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

Have you installed any new drivers/hardware recently ? ?
    Is Win7 installed on this machine ? ?
    How old is the HDD itself ? ?

This may take a visit to our Virus and Spyware section to get you sorted but let's start here first...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rob331

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
      ok, no I haven't isntalled new stuff (anything I install was working fine for a while before this happened last thursday), the hdd works, since I use it with ubuntu, and yes I have 7 on it, it's never been an issue to my other partitions.  (the hdd is about 2yrs old).  I think I should first disable avast (last time I could boot to vista and I ran a scan I was offered to schedule a boot time scan -I said yes, that's after it moved and renamed a c:\pagefile.sys because it said it was a trojan in the scan).  How can I uninstall avast if the partition won't boot (I can still use my files with ubuntu)?

WyattSoft

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
        Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Kirbopher

Beginner

• Yes
          • The Computer Clan
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
        try running boot menu and run the setup program and try useing a vista boot cd But first run boot menu run in safe mode and uninstal any new hardware or software and it might work.
        Remember the 6 R's to troubleshooting
        Retry, Restart, Research, Reinstall, Restore, Replace

rob331

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:59:01 PM »
          I have tried safe mode and as you might imagine, I'm still unable to get past the bluescreen at the end of loading drivers.  usually I do just that if I get a blue screen, I try to go safe mode > uninstall anything suspect.  its not an option from what I've seen (tried it a few times already)....

Going for the vista boot cd (thnks to neuber), it cannot repair it on its own.  I checked if winload.exe was in \system 32, and \boot, and it is (it hasn't been modified in months from the dates shown). 
          I think I really need to get avast uninstalled first, but how would I do this, if its not booting. Is there a way through live cd or better yet, ubuntu? 

rob331

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
            Im stil trying to avoid  ??? :P reinstalling vista so is there any other ideas to troubleshoot this bsod?

Broni

Mastermind
            • Kraków my love :)
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »
            Do you have Vista DVD?

rob331

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »
              yup, I tried bootrec /fixmbr ( and other commands),  also chkdsk /f, so is there anything else to try?  even if it requires another boot cd.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »
              If you have Vista DVD, try Vista repair install: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html