Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer spiking  (Read 6358 times)

kbuth

computer spiking
« on: March 19, 2004, 10:38:14 PM »
Hi-  I have a prob with a hp running xp os.  It continually spikes computer usage. If I shut all programs down and go to task manager it shows 4%-then 15% then 100% and does this over and over.  I tried playing games that I have played many times before with no prob.  Now they freeze for a second when computer spikes.  I have 512 meg of ram and 90% of hard drive is empty. Please some suggestions.  Thanks in advance

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer spiking
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 05:20:39 PM »
Kbuth,

The only reason the computer usage (CPU usage) would spike is if something was being performed in the background. Although you may have closed all the programs in the background it is still possible that something is still running such as a Windows Service and/or even a virus, spyware, or computer worm.

We would first highly recommend that you make sure the latest up to date virus scanner is installed on your computer and that no viruses are detected by the scanner.

Second, with the increased frequency of spyware on the Internet it is also possible that spyware may have been installed on the computer and is causing your issue. See the below document for information about spyware.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000578.htm

If no viruses or spyware is detected are running try running msconfig and disabling all your startup programs. Once these have been disabled reboot the computer and see if the issue still occurs. If the issue no longer occurs it is likely one of these startup programs installed in the computer is causing your issue. Information about how to do this can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chtsr.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein