Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop Icons and Descriptions  (Read 2091 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Desktop Icons and Descriptions
    « on: September 24, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »
    This *censored* computer. I can see it's gonna get a good kickin' if it doesn't stop playing me up!
    Used it this morning and all was ok. Powered it off and then back on again 2hrs later. Whoa, all the desktop shortcut icons were blimmin' enormous as well as their descriptions and were in rows across the screen.
    Thought l'd sorted it via right clicking on properties/appearance/advanced and properties/appearance/settings. Then took ages to move then all around into the order they were before.
    Powered off and restarted. The desktop has come back with all the icons and descriptions so small l literally need a magnifying glass to read them.
    They are also in 4 columns to the far left of the screen, in no order whatsoever!
    Any ideas as to what's happening as it seems my alterations aren't getting saved/retained?
    Thanks
    PS I've done the obvious (ie MBAM,SAS,Spybot,HJT etc. and all run clean)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Desktop Icons and Descriptions
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:49:52 AM »
    Try 1024X768....as a resolution.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Desktop Icons and Descriptions
      « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:06 AM »
      Hi there Patio,
      Yep, that's what l set them to (which seems to be what they looked like
      before all this started).
      Have just rebooted prior to writing this and fingers crossed, it seems to be holding its own at the moment, with all icons staying where they should be.
      Doesn't really explain why it was doing this in the first place, just another of lifes mysteries l suppose! Grrrr, blimmin machines!
      Thanks for replying
      WTC