Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with digital sigs  (Read 3661 times)

Emma P

Problem with digital sigs
« on: May 21, 2005, 02:36:23 PM »
Basically, this is my problem:

I downloaded Microsoft Reader, but when I tried to activate it a box popped up that said I couldn't because the digital sig could not be verified. My knowledge of computers is very basic, and I have no idea what to do. Is there a way to override this?

Someone suggested to me that Norton was the problem, and that I should uninstall it until the Reader was activated, which I did, but it didn't help at all. Next I was told that the problem was that I am not the administrator (which I've had problems with before as I can not even CtrlAltDelete because of it). Again, I have no idea what to do about this.

I have Windows XP, which was already installed on my computer when it was shipped to me. All I want is to be able to activate the Reader.

Anyone know what I can do about this?

pcdoc4christ

Re: Problem with digital sigs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 12:52:46 PM »
Emma:

Did the warning message say that the driver that was being installed was not signed by Microsoft, or did it says something else?

Regards,
Doc

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »
Attempt to give your account administrator privileges.

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> User accounts.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 01:10:27 PM »
Also, check out this Microsoft support site:

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/info/support/faq/update.asp#17

Regards,
Doc

Emma P

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:24:38 PM »
Emma:

Did the warning message say that the driver that was being installed was not signed by Microsoft, or did it says something else?

Regards,
Doc

This is the message I'm getting:

AOL Security Warning
Windows had found a problem with this file
Name:DASAct.cab
Publisher: Unknown Publisher
This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher

That's the extent of it. And the only help it provides is in giving me a definition and reason for digital sigs.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 02:26:54 PM »
Can you not simply configure the AOL security software to accept the program you are trying to install?

Or disable AOL security for the time being..

I assume that AOL security is some kind of firewall and/or virus scanner?

Emma P

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 02:29:04 PM »
Attempt to give your account administrator privileges.

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> User accounts.

Alright, I did that, and it says that I'm the administrator. However, when I try to download certain files, or even CtrlAltDelete, it tells me I'm not the administrator.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 03:34:11 PM »
scan for bugs...............have you tried acrobat reader?
re-boot pc........hold dowmn the f8 chose lasy good config..........

you will find that all pcs tell lies.........do not believe all that you see on screen?? ignore.......error messages............have you got  norton firewall?? aol have one too...........