Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Small Networking question(2 devices)  (Read 2142 times)

agusted

Topic Starter

Small Networking question(2 devices)
    « on: June 12, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »
    I have cable Internet.  My ISP provides me with 1 IP.

I want to connect to two hosts(i.e. computers) simultaneously.  That is my goal.

I have a few questions:

First, I believe what I need is a router.  Is that correct?

I bought a switch which only allows one device to actually be connected at a time, but I have heard of "smart switches" that can act as a router, as well, and I know how to console in and go from there.  The switch is advertised as a "5 port 10/100 ethernet switch" and only cost me around $25, so I would assume it cannot do routing functions.  Is that right?

Also, if my switch is incapable of routing, could I possibly do it with the cable modem? 

It has one port on the back.  Do modems often double as a router?

Much appreciated.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Small Networking question(2 devices)
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:21:22 AM »
    You may simply be able to place your cable modem (connected presumably by USB cable?) with a cable router, with ethernet ports.  That's the easiest route.  Otherwise you can use any onld hub/switch (or even a crossover cable) to connect your two computers and then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the one with the modem.  But that's a messier solution that requires at least one of the computers to be on for either of them to get a connection.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos