Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What Heatsink/Fan for Striker Extreme?  (Read 3352 times)

Joel2009

Topic Starter

What Heatsink/Fan for Striker Extreme?
    « on: June 11, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »
    Hi everyone,

I recently bought the Striker Extreme: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=G7JoxzAEXsQwDt7G

But my problem is that the heatsink(s) I have now will not fit on the motherboard because the heat bars around are in the way, I have a Intel E5200 Processor and the heatsink and fan that came with that fitted except I had trouble putting it in the slots (3 corners slotted in but 1 wouldn't).

If you have an striker extreme then please tell which heatsink and fan you use for it.

I am only looking for a cheap heatsink and fan (nothing expensive). As long as it fits...

Hope you can help,
    Thanks.

xavier

Re: What Heatsink/Fan for Striker Extreme?
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
    Welcome to the forums.

Looks like quite a few coolers will be a tight fit with those heatpipes, been doing some research and it seems the space in between is approx. 130mm x 107mm, so that's the restriction on size for the cooler.
    The stock coolers with the pushpins can be tricky to fit actually, the design they've used is very awkward IMHO and I have struggled before now.  What I'm trying to say is, if the supplied cooler fits, you may as well try again to fit that, because all the cheaper coolers out there use the same mounting method so they'll be just as difficult/awkward to install.

xavier

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:10:56 AM »
     I did run across one quite some time ago Calium that there was a plate that fit under the board and the heatsink fan assembly had 4 long screws that screwed to the plate. Just guessing i think it was made by Coolmaster.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
    There are quite a few heatsinks that don't use the pushpin method, but they do tend to be more expensive and geared towards high-end cooling requirements.

Joel2009

Topic Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
      Thanks for the info people.  :)

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
      The ASUS Silent Square I use would fit that. However, the Silent Square Pro is quite tall. You'll want to make sure you have clearance between it and the side of your case.

ASUS has a good selection of CPU coolers.
      http://www.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=EdcJnPIATNnBFRV0