Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Administrator Problem  (Read 3169 times)

anitasues

Topic Starter

Starter

Administrator Problem
    « on: June 30, 2009, 07:24:23 AM »
    HI everyone, my boyfriend and I have a computer and his sister set it up for us.  She has him as the "administrator" and me I guess as a regular user.  She is on vacation, so I can't ask her  and I know the computer has a virsus because it didn't have any protection when my bf started to use it and it is really, really slow.  I brought Norton anti-virus and want to install it, but it will not let me install it because I am not the administrator.  How do I make myself an administrator???  thank you.  I want to install it but my bf thinks we don't need it so that is why he is not installing it, so I have to do it!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Administrator Problem
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »
    You have to be an administrator to change user account rights. Sorry, but you'll have to ask your boyfriend to either install it or make you an administrator too.

anitasues

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:37:47 AM »
      okay thank you  I will try!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:41 AM »
        That, or log in as your bf.

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

anitasues

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
           ;D  thats a good one!!  he won't let me know what is password is, but I won't let him know mine  ::)

But you would think with a computer that I would be able to do it, since I am set up, he doesn't think that we need the Norton because we have verizon as our computer service and he thinks they take care of everything.  So if he won't set me up as administrator because I think you can have more than one admin. he will screw the computer up and then we won't have one!!  the computer is acting so weird and so, I am almost positive it has a virus,

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
          First, having no antivirus I garuntee you have an infection.
          Second, Verizon (the internet service) does not to anything regarding malware and viruses. To trust a Service Provider with your computer's security is very foolish. (no offense intended) An antivirus software is absolutely necessary.
          Third, having more than one administrator accounts will not damage the computer in any way.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
            Time for a new bf?  :-\

Alan <><  :D
            I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:06:55 PM »
            Your boyfriend is probably a nice person, but tell him to back away from his passive-agressive stance, and grant you admin. rights...or, when it all crashes, shrug, and say, "Hey, I'm not the administrator."

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"