Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB 2.0 to IDE Cable Problems  (Read 2219 times)

sackett22

Topic Starter

USB 2.0 to IDE Cable Problems
    « on: June 15, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »
    OK, I purchased this cable to connect a hard drive from another computer to my computer so I could get the information off of it. 

My computer never registered anything showing that any hardware had been added.  Tried restarting did not work. 

Well the a/c power supply for the cable burnt out within 20 minutes, so now I've hooked the hard drive to the original computer (for the power source) and then hooked the IDE/USB cable to the hard drive and to my current computer.  But still my comp doesn't show a new drive installed. 

I really need this information, so what should I do?  How can I get my current computer to recognize the drive that is installed.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: USB 2.0 to IDE Cable Problems
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »
    If the adapter burnt out, it might have damaged the cable as well.

Have you tried just putting the hard drive into the other computer like a regular drive?

You could also try an external box as well.

sackett22

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
      I tried to connect it into this computer.  I put it as a slave drive, then connected it to the power source,  but when I turned the computer back on, it wouldn't boot up at all. 

Do I need to change some setting on the harddrive in my computer so that when I hook up the old drive it will boot up???

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:06 PM »
      I tried to connect it into this computer.  I put it as a slave drive, then connected it to the power source,  but when I turned the computer back on, it wouldn't boot up at all. 

Do I need to change some setting on the harddrive in my computer so that when I hook up the old drive it will boot up???

You also need to set the main hard drive as "master with slave"

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 06:41:25 AM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "