Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB FLASH DRIVE PROBLEM  (Read 2397 times)

johnthebaptist

Topic Starter

Starter

USB FLASH DRIVE PROBLEM
    « on: June 19, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
    I have a 16gb generic flash drive that I use at work and home. I have defined this jump drive as drive K: to be able to access certain information on both computers. That being said the data is not so important that it can't be replace but I still would hate to lose it. It worked fine at work yesterday but when I plugged it in to my home computer today it was assigned the drive I. When I went to browse the drive an error came up saying the drive was unformatted. I have scanned the drive in different ways and it seems as though the boot sector/partition is corrupt. Free partition recover seems as though it might work to recover the data but I don't have all the proper variables. This is what I came up with so far:
    SH: 1
    SS: 1
    SC: 0
    FS Type: NTFS
    EH: 254 (I think)
    ES: 63
    EC: ???????    :(
    Rel Sectors: 63
    Total Sectors: 32972800

Additional Data
    Heads 255
    Cylinders 2052

Can anyone help me?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: USB FLASH DRIVE PROBLEM
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:38:49 PM »
    Put it into the machine it works on...
    Retrieve your data...
    Then use Disk Management to format it as an NTFS volume and you should be good to go...

NOTE: If you assign it a Volume Label it will not change drive letters unless the machine it's in already has that drive letter designated for something else...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johnthebaptist

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
      If it were that simple it would be nice.... as I said the boot sector somehow became corrupt, It doesn't work in either machine. This is not the first time this has has happened to me. It happened to another drive recently, but after a format and reload it has worked fine. I am just trying not to lose the data this time.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:25:57 PM »
      Did you read my suggestions ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

johnthebaptist

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:26:25 PM »
        As a mattter of fact... yes

IT DOES NOT WORK IN EITTHER MACHINE NOW! yes I can format the drive but I am trying to retrieve the data

Put it into the machine it works on... doesn't work on either
        retireve the data How? if it doesn't work in either machine
        Then use Disk Management to format it as an NTFS volume and you should be good to go... If I do this the data is lost

NOTE: If you assign it a Volume Label it will not change drive letters unless the machine it's in already has that drive letter designated for something else...I know...I am not assigning a volume label but a specific drive letter because some programs need the drive letter (in this case letter K:) to be set.

neelchauhan

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »
        Windows Vista and above can fix it. If you can pay $100 for a new OS, get it.
        I would recommend a pocket hard drive from Segate or LaCie because they can be recovered more easily.