Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavilion PC Recovery Disks will not work  (Read 4447 times)

brian64

Topic Starter

Starter

HP Pavilion PC Recovery Disks will not work
    « on: June 18, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »
    I have an HP Pavilion that needed to be re-imaged and I ordered the recovery disks from HP.  However, when you start the computer with the recovery disks that I confirmed were the correct ones for this computer, a message comes up stating These recovery disks are not for the model of computer.   After a fruitless dialog with HP technical support, I was told that there was a problem with the computer when it was manufactured and there was a long process that I need to go through to get the disks to work, but they would not tell me the process because the computer was out of warranty.
    Anyone know what this process they are talking about might be?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: HP Pavilion PC Recovery Disks will not work
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:44:57 PM »
    Was motherboard ever replaced?
    You should have recovery partition on your HP.

brian64

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:48:27 PM »
      Thanks for the reply.  I did try the recovery partition but got an error message from that too.  The hard drive has been formatted and the motherboard has not been replaced to my knowledge.    I have tried to follow to reset the CMOS using the directions for this motherboard, but it has no effect.      I was hoping that someone else with an HP was in warranty when this happened and the HP technicians shared the procedure you have to follow to made the disks work.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »
      I did try the recovery partition but got an error message from that too
      What was the error?
      Did you access it by pressing F10 at HP logo?

brian64

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:05:37 PM »
        The error stated "this recovery disk is NOT for this model of computer".
        If you were talking about the error when I tried to use the recovery partition,
        It was Error: Your system has detected a configuration error... (Code Purple)

I formatted the NTFS partition hoping that this would solve the error since the first problem was a virus that stopped the computer from responding.     I have done hard drive tests and even used a new hard drive and the response is still the same.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »
        Both errors show, that your recovery CDs, and your recovery partition don't match motherboard "tattoo".
        Obviously, I don't know history of your computer, so I can't tell what happened ,and when.
        However, you may want to read here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/469752-code-purple-configuration-error-hp.html

brian64

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:44:48 PM »
          Thanks for the link.   I see that this could be helpful.  I have to believe that there is something in the bios since I connected a completely new hard drive and got the same error.     It cannot be a code in the hard drive if the hard drive was disconnected and I got the same message.