Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfering XP installation from one machine to another?  (Read 8670 times)

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Transfering XP installation from one machine to another?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:38 AM »
which linux is easier to use? Fedora, Ubuntu or Red Hat?
Well, this should be on a new thread. But I hope this thread has clear things for you.
Yes. You will have to reinstall XP. Back up everyting you want to save.

You will have to call microsoft to validate your copy of XP. Tell them that you simply "upgraded" your old computer.
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 08:40:44 AM »
I should also mention that I have never registered or validated my copy of XP. Never have - never will.

How do you get Windows updates then ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
I should also mention that I have never registered or validated my copy of XP. Never have - never will.

As far as I know, the only time Windows XP doesn't require validation after installation is when it's a hacked illegal version that bypasses this. You're not required to register, but an authentic version of Windows XP requires validation or it will nag you to validate until you do. Plus you can't get any updates or downloads until you do.

If, by some feat, your Windows installation does work after you swap it over, and if it is genuine, it will state that there has been a significant hardware change and re-require validation.

I know when I upgraded this system (changed motherboard, processor, RAM, sound card, and video card) when I booted it again to reinstall Windows, to my surprise it booted right up into the previous installation, but it still required validation again because it detected the hardware change. It does occasionally work to use an old installation, but this isn't usually the case, and if it does work it will ask to validate.

MrPipps

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »
    I am amazed that your knowledge of XP validation is so limited.

Yes, the software requires a CD-key during installation. But the actual material 'validation' only occurs when that information is sent to the Microsoft database, should the user choose to apply Windows Updates. This is the only stage of the process where actual 'validation' occurs.

And just to set your minds at ease, my copy of XP is wholly legal and paid for. However, I simply do not believe in being coerced or forced into disclosing my computing activities to a commercial organisation once my contract for the purchase of software has been concluded.

The EULA does not stipulate that a Windows customer must validate their software periodically online as a condition of sale.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 08:26:28 AM »
    Sorry, I meant activation and it is still required after a new install.

And just to set your minds at ease, my copy of XP is wholly legal and paid for.

If you say so.

However, I simply do not believe in being coerced or forced into disclosing my computing activities to a commercial organisation once my contract for the purchase of software has been concluded.

Neither activation nor online validation through WGA discloses any of your "computing activities". Perhaps you should do a little research about what information is transmitted before running your mouth.

I'm not amazed that you have obviously absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

MrPipps

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 08:54:40 AM »
      Neither activation nor online validation through WGA discloses any of your "computing activities".
      I think you will find that the reality is quite different from your preferred mental image. Validating software online inherently and unavoidably discloses a number of items of information. Perhaps you just regret that you naively validated your own software?

I am sorry that you feel the need to resort to dispensing personal insults. Though do please continue if you feel that it makes you look like a big man. I am sure that the level of respect you perceive yourself to receive on this forum will only be benefited as a result.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »
      You started with insults, I just responded. Don't try to be a troll trying to get a reaction, it won't work.

Yes, it discloses a number of items, none of which include anything having to do with your "computing activities" as you said.

MrPipps

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
        You obviously have a lot more trolling experience than me, so I will be gentle with you.

I can think of a number of details concerning personal computing activities which online validation disclosed. The very fact that you are using that software, at that time, from that IP address, for instance. Though perhaps you weren't aware of this.

Yes, and there is clearly nothing insulting about that statement. Though if it has upset so much you then perhaps you should report it. I am sure a moderator will be delighted to hear from you after suffering such a devastating statement of fact which is inherent from your responses on this thread.

You should probably also check that you are using the correct terminology next time you troll my thread. I stated 'validation' from the very start of this tangent. You got confused and thought I was referring to 'activation', which clearly was not the case. So perhaps you should bow out gracefully, and accept you made a mistake, and made an issue out of nothing. Or, alternatively, you could keep on trolling.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
        Not upset about anything, so don't try to falsely imply that I am.

Activation or validation does not transmit personally identifiable information, whether you think it does or not. Doing either of the actions does send a lot of the same information, none of it having anything to do with "computing activities", as you stated. That is the whole point. Your statement is just wrong.

Product Activation sends:
        Display adapter model
        SCSI adapter model
        IDE adapter
        Network adapter model and MAC Address
        RAM information
        Processor information
        Information on hard drives and optical drives models

WGA sends (in addition to the above):
        Computer manufacturer
        GUID
        Regional and language options, as well as locale (country only)
        OS version
        BIOS information and checksum
        Validation and installation information
        Windows key
        Office key (if applicable)
        Windows ID

None of that information contains anything that identifies your "computing activities" or who you are. You're just being paranoid.

MrPipps

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »
          You forgot to mention 'IP address'.

And that, combined with license key, is all the information anyone could need to identify you.

Perhaps you work for Microsoft? It's ok, I won't hold it against you.

Though your advocacy of disbanding a right to privacy is something altogether more objectionable.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
          I didn't forget it. I've never seen anything anywhere that indicates the IP address or anything identifying the user is ever sent.

The license key wouldn't prove anything unless you actually register Windows, at which point you are offering them personal information, but registering isn't required to activate, validate, receive updates, or make Windows operate normally. Besides, that isn't the point. You said it tells them about your "computing activities", but you have yet to show evidence of that. So far, all you've given is a lot of misinformation about what activating and validation actually does.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
          Enough.

Topic Closed.

Mr. Pipps if you still want to go down this road instead of disparaging Members start a new Topic.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "