Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New computer  (Read 27418 times)

Mulreay

Re: New computer
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »
Now you mention it he did say it was a quad core graphics card which was top notch. May be not then!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »
    Its okay probably enough to get a sound card an few other things.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »
    Yeah I'll probably get a sound card.. not decided yet   ::)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
      It depends on were your getting your parts at which you maybe able to save a bit more.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 03:26:22 AM »
      Price seems a bit off to me ... seems a little expensive, depending on the motherboard, PSU and actual graphics card.
      Still a good computer though, no disrespect intended or anything.

Mulreay

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 03:41:40 AM »
      Hi Calum are you English? Always a little easier to price things up if your from the same country. Would appreciate your advice.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 03:53:09 AM »
      I am English, yes.
      For that price, I found a prebuilt system (not typical prebuilt, better quality) with a dual core 2.6GHz, SLI GTS250's, XP Home, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard, and OCZ modular 600W PSU.
      I know that's not a great match up, but if you take off some of the price as it's prebuilt, drop a graphics card and get a cheaper Intel board, upgrade the case, CPU and HDD, and maybe change the PSU, it'd work out around the same price but (hard to say here as we don't know the full details of the system we're discussing) possibly better components and much better graphics (vs. 9400GT).

Mulreay

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 03:56:41 AM »
      Yeah good call. Manchester by the way you? If you were to create a PC what would you use? I'm thinking of going to Micro Direct to see what they can do.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 04:10:20 AM »
      I'm in Derby (check my profile).
      I use Overclockers for my supplier, they do a lot of prebuilt systems (which are fully configurable if you call them)and components too.  Customer service is fantastic, I usually go and collect my orders because I'm not too far from them.  40 minute drive = £10 of petrol, vs. at least £5 for delivery and having to wait.
      No, I don't work for them, heh.

Anyway, a quick build I just threw together from there:
      Q8200 CPU
      HD4870 graphics card
      EP45-DS3P motherboard
      Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HDD
      PC P&C 610W PSU
      Antec 300 case
      OCUK 4GB 800MHz RAM
      Pioneer DVDRW drive
      XP Home

£636.71 including delivery.

That's easily configurable and upgradeable, or downgradeable.  Changing to Vista Basic would be the same price, Home Premium adds another £15.
      There's a 512MB version of that graphics card for a little cheaper which is fine for lower resolution gaming, or if you're not a hardcore gamer you could drop to a 4850, 4830, or 4770 for up to £30 less.  A 9600GSO would be quite a bit cheaper and would be fine for lower end gaming.
      For the RAM, you may want to change that for something with a better warranty - this kit is on offer and is pretty good for an extra £8 with a lifetime warranty.

Those are just some examples of how you could change it anyway, you know better than me what you want.

Hope this helps.

Mulreay

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 04:15:09 AM »
      I'm a true hardcore Gamer to be fair. Thanks for the advice though much appreciated.
      Derby... were almost neighbours.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 04:19:13 AM »
      I'm a true hardcore Gamer to be fair. Thanks for the advice though much appreciated.
      You're welcome.

Derby... were almost neighbours.
      Indeed.  I have a friend who lives almost in Manchester actually, and we go through there occasionally on our random travels heh.

Oh ... almost forgot.  You may want to swap the CPU for the Q6700 in fact, it should be a fair bit better for gaming than the Q8200.