Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: %temp%  (Read 21974 times)

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

%temp%
    « on: June 19, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »
    I have been trying to free some disk space from my computer.  Need to defragment and keep getting - not enough disk space error... - I was just looking at a video on metacafe.com that showed how you can go to start/run/ and type in
    %temp%.  Then it shows that the files in this folder (Temp) are to be deleted in order to free some space. Just wanted to know if this is safe before I delete anything in the folder?

Thanks

Mulreay

Re: %temp%
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:07:45 AM »
    OK you need to do a disk cleanup first. Because we don't know your operating system XP, Vista etc you can find it in...  start button, all programmes, accessories, system tools disk cleanup. Then after you have said 'yes' to clean it all. You need to check the space left on you hard drive. So go to Computer and click on the HD. Depending on your platform (Vista, XP) you will probably need about 10-15% of free space to perform a defragment. If you don't have this space then you need to delete enough files (films, videos, music etc) to create that space then go to system tools and defragment. If you cant find it then do a windows search for defrag an it will show up. Using XP turn off your screensaver and have no programmes running in the background. Vista not so much a problem. Either way it can take a few hours to complete depending on the size of the drive and the amount of fragmentation.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:15 AM »
    If you have any problems at all then please post back and myself or one of the other members will gladly help you.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
      Sorry for not being specific about my problem. I have Compaq Presario, XP home edition.  I have deleted everything that I can think of.  I had a lot of jpg and video so I put them on a CD and deleted most of the others.  I went into add/delete programs and deleted a bunch of stuff that I didn't know I even had on the computer.  I did a disk clean up and deleted all of the temp files, recycle bin etc.  I went to Compaq.com and did an update on my drivers and did another disk cleanup. After all of that, I still only ended up with 4% space.  Yes, I need 15% to do the defrag, but can't figure out what else I can delete without messing up the system.

That's when I did a blind search and found the metacafe video. When I did the start/run/%temp%, There over 90 files with the .tmp suffix in this folder.   I went back to disc cleanup and there was nothing (0 KB).    So that is why I am asking if it is safe for me to delete these files?  I am going to go back into add/delete programs and make sure there is nothing else there, but I truly do not think so...Help!

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »
      Can we have the beginning part of the .tmp files so we know what they are. I know it's a pain but were all flying blind here.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »
        No pain...I'm the one needing the help.  Here are some of the .tmp files in the folder.

~3B.tmp     ~12C.tmp    ~61.tmp     ~94.tmp    ~114.tmp     ~190.tmp     ~AA.tmp

~DF1EC7.tmp     ~DF2E24.tmp     ~DF4AEF.tmp      ~DF4BDF.tmp     ~DF4C6B.tmp

~DF5D82.tmp    ~DF5E60.tmp      ~DF6D5.tmp     ~DF7B0D.tmp     ~DF7B43.tmp

~DF7B64.tmp    ~DF8BEE.tmp     ~DF10B9.tmp     ~DF10E5.tmp     ~DF11B8.tmp

~DF14C0.tmp    ~DF14DA.tmp     ~DF36E.tmp     ~DF42DF.tmp     ~DF47B0.tmp

~DF47B7.tmp     ~DF69ED.tmp     ~DF69FC.tmp     ~DF76A1.tmp     ~DF137D.tmp

~DF171D.tmp     ~DF201A.tmp     ~DF434D.tmp    ~DF604A.tmp     ~DF853.tmp

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
        Do me a favour and download this:
        http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

run a scan and post the details on here. I may need to get you moved to a different forum to talk to Evil_Fantasy but we will see.

billrich

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
        1)  start, All Programs, accessories, System Tools and click Disk Cleanup

2) http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm
        ( Free registry cleanup by Microsoft )

3) "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe"
        http://www.ccleaner.com/download

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:22:31 PM by billrich »

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
        Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
        Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
        Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
        TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:58:24 PM »
        Or you can do that.   ;)

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
          When I started to run this program - TFC., I got an alert from my PC Tools Threat Fire program.  Potentially malicious.  Should I just "allow this procss to continue".  Can't afford any more problems...

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »
          Yes, ignore the warning. The program is perfectly safe.

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
          that was just a warning to make sure you're aware that you're gonna be potentially changing settings on your computer and so don't worry and continue on as Broni already mentioned  :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
          Just so you know...cleaning out Temp files and such is only going to produce minimal results...
          You should look at things like getting rid of Apps you haven't used for 6 months...burning data such as videos pictures and music etc. to get anything done...

That being said i would also consider buying a new HDD...the prices are great right now.

And we can assist you on cloning the old drive to the new one if you decide this is the way you want to go....

Let us Know...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »
            I ran the TFC...Thanks but it only brought me to 8% free space.  That's better than nothing. 
            Can't afford any HDD's no matter price.  Not working...Tight-tight budget during summer months, although I appreciate the suggestion.  I have done everything.  I have an adobe reader 9 program that is taking up 204MB of space but it will not delete.  Keep getting error message about a "key". 

I'll dig some more to make sure I got all my pics on CD.  I had a lot of them and it took me a while to get them burned.  I may have missed a folder.  I had a lot of stuff from school and deleted all of that.  I will check all my folders and let you know if I find the culprit.  I will uninstall printer/scanner and reinstall, but that's not gonna be enough.  Thanks everybody.  Any more suggestions are welcomed...