Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VIDEO CARD UPGRADE  (Read 2979 times)

ranger

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

VIDEO CARD UPGRADE
    « on: June 19, 2009, 11:41:44 AM »
    Trying to use a new flight simulator, I get a msg that my card can't show shades, all I have is the video system that came with my computer. I'm running win xp with service pk 3, pen 4, 2.0 MHz, with 512 ram,1 agp slot,and 3 expansion slots. I have an IBM netvista m21 8303 desktop model, so any cards that I add must be low profile. I read some where that you can't upgrade a video card in an expansion slot if you have an AGP slot  that can be used for a video upgrade????, I really don't know much about this stuff so if you could help me out, that would be gr8. thank you

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: VIDEO CARD UPGRADE
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
    What's your budget for an upgrade?
    Also, welcome to the forums.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
    I also agree that a complete system upgrade to a different ( Newer System ) may be the better direction if you can afford to do so...

Trying to use a new flight simulator
    on a Pentium 4 ( 2.0 Ghz ) is really pushing that hardware. If it was a HT 2.8Ghz you might be closer to the minimum requirements with *2 cores ( *one of which is virtual hyperthreading core )

What does the game show for minimum system requirements?

neelchauhan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
    A nVidia card will work. check newegg.com[glow]

ranger

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 03:19:30 PM »
      What's your budget for an upgrade?
      Also, welcome to the forums.
      oh,I don't want to spend to much, but around $100.00+, and get a card that won't need even more of a upgrade, like a power supply upgrade.

ranger

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »
        I also agree that a complete system upgrade to a different ( Newer System ) may be the better direction if you can afford to do so...
         on a Pentium 4 ( 2.0 Ghz ) is really pushing that hardware. If it was a HT 2.8Ghz you might be closer to the minimum requirements with *2 cores ( *one of which is virtual hyperthreading core )

What does the game show for minimum system requirements?
        Minimum Recommended System:win xp or vista, pent 1.0, 512 ram ,4 GB drive space, DVD drive, 3d Accelerated video with 32 MB dedicated video memory, full win directX (pixel shader 1.4 support. This is a Real Flight G4.5, My wife bought this for me and did think of reading the system requirements.I didn't want to tell her that it's not going to work on my computer so I'm trying to upgrade my computer with out her knowing.

ranger

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »
          A nVidia card will work. check newegg.com[glow]
          Thank you I will check on that.

ranger

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 03:48:40 PM »
            oh,I don't want to spend to much, but around $100.00+, and get a card that won't need even more of a upgrade, like a power supply upgrade. thanks for the welcome

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »
              ranger, I like your reasoning behind what you are trying to do vis-a vis the "wife" thing-classy. But an alternative is that you could say to her (if you can afford the cost--of the new computer i mean) that you value her gift so much to do it justice you really NEED to upgrade your computer. truenorth

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:25:10 AM »
                Not sure how far we got but with those spec's its not worth it.  My sister had to get a new laptop to run it an it takes alot just for it to have run like its suppose too.  I would get a faster cpu an more ram as well if you want it to work on this machine.  I had a 2.8 ghz pent 4 an 1 gb of ram an still noticed lacking so thats probably the best thing to do. 
                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

ranger

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »
                  Not sure how far we got but with those spec's its not worth it.  My sister had to get a new laptop to run it an it takes alot just for it to have run like its suppose too.  I would get a faster CPU an more ram as well if you want it to work on this machine.  I had a 2.8 ghz pent 4 an 1 gb of ram an still noticed lacking so thats probably the best thing to do. 
                  Yeah, that's what  I've been thinking, that I just have to buy a little bigger, better, faster computer. I kinda wanted to see if I could upgrade my old computer but, more RAM $, faster CPU $$, power supply upgrade $$$, faster video card $$$$, would almost spend that much on a new computer, thanks, I see the light.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 01:40:48 AM »
                    Thats good cause her machine has dual core.  I maybe able to run it only cause I can get the stuff required but its probably easier if you just got a new one.
                    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres