Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File Missing (Recently Installed Windows)  (Read 2614 times)

Midna

Topic Starter

Rookie

File Missing (Recently Installed Windows)
    « on: June 20, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
    I had finally installed Windows XP: Home on my new 500GB HDD. Everything seemed fine, I had installed updates SP3 and everything except the grahics driver (Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, which seems hard to find, even on the Intel site). I had downloaded the zip file since the EXE one didn't work even though I put my correct OS System.

I seemed to work until I restarted my laptop. I get black screen which says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missin or corrupted:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
    Select 'r' t the first screen to start repair.

I'm not sure what to do. I put in my CD and I selected one but not sure what to type.

Why would it be missing or corrupted after installing a Intel graphics driver?

Edit: I tried to do a repair but the option wasn't there. I am now reinstalling Windows :( I have the most bad luck!!!
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:25:20 PM by Midna »

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: File Missing (Recently Installed Windows)
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
    Comprehensive instructions for fixing the problems you're having are on the following website: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm.

Don't be intimidated by all the information. Just follow the instructions one step at a time. Hopefully it gets you working again.