Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DOD 5.0 Issue!!  (Read 710 times)

askme77

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    DOD 5.0 Issue!!
    « on: July 23, 2019, 05:53:35 AM »
    Im hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I have an old computer system (1993 Vintage) that is running dos 5.0. I have an application that automatically runs when the computer boots. The software works fine when running on the old system although every once in a while this error does pop up. I use this application a lot and wanted to see if it would work running on newer computer. I created a mirror copy of the older drive and formatted a newer hard drive. (Its an exact mirror i.e. fat file system, hard drive size etc)

Everything looked like it was going to work out fine until I went to a new menu and the program crashed. I can reboot the system and use it for a short while before getting caught in the same loop. When the program crashes, Im prompted to enter the time and date or press enter to continue.  I have entered a time and day, as well as just pressing enter, the results are the same. I believe I found the file that generates the loop; however what I am unsure of is why.

Here is the line in the .bat file that either starts the program or this time & date loop.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: DOD 5.0 Issue!!
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:00:34 AM »
    Is the system time/date correct in the BIOS ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Adviser

• Just because it fits doesn't mean it works.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
    Another thing if there was no date and time option in the bios on the old system (1993) then the date and time function would need to be part of the Dos program. On faster hardware the date and time could increment 1000's of times faster.
    It could be finally be a genuine Y2K bug.
    This is just suggestions, will need more info if patio's suggestion doesn't help.   

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Inventor of the Magna-Broom 3000 =)
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »
    CMOS Battery likely bad and additionally could have leaked across traces around the memory bus on some boards as the acid can travel under the masking of the board and eat at traces. Take a peek inside and see if the battery is corroded and what the mask of the board looks like around it.

I had a old 486 DX 33Mhz board that got trashed by acid damage from the barrel type CMOS battery that is soldered to the board. What was once a perfectly healthy computer started acting up and it was found that the CMOS battery leaked and ate at traces and the acid traveled under the mask of the board making the mask blistered looking. The 486 board I had had 4 DIMM slots close by to the battery and the large AT Keyboard connector and P5  and P6 power supply connections to main board in that same corner where all the damage was located. Your RAM may be close by too depending on the board layout.

If this is a laptop it will be a little harder to inspect. But I'd inspect it for damage.

A memory test would be helpful too... as if the program lands on a bad memory address it can crash it hard. Other issue is if the memory or SIMM or DIMM slots are of different metal in contact I have seen gold contacts on tin corrode. So it might be worth looking at the RAM carefully removing them and inspecting for discoloration. If discolored I use a pencil eraser to carefully shine them up and just make sure the rubber fragments don't remain or end up in the SIMM or DIMM slot when installing to system again. If you run a memory test and all is good then there is no need to remove RAM and clean them up, but if you don't have a memory test and want to inspect them and clean them up if needed that's the method I use.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

Genius

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
    Badly copied ... the originals say "DOS", he says "DOD" and also says "Here is the line in the .bat file that either starts the program or this time & date loop." and then gives no line. I smell a troll.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:41:34 AM by Salmon Trout »

askme77

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 03:04:22 PM »
      CMOS Battery likely bad and additionally could have leaked across traces around the memory bus on some boards as the acid can travel under the masking of the board and eat at traces. Take a peek inside and see if the battery is corroded and what the mask of the board looks like around it.

I had a old 486 DX 33Mhz board that got trashed by acid damage from the barrel type CMOS battery that is soldered to the board. What was once a perfectly healthy computer started acting up and it was found that the CMOS battery leaked and ate at traces and the acid traveled under the mask of the board making the mask blistered looking. The 486 board I had had 4 DIMM slots close by to the battery and the large AT Keyboard connector and P5  and P6 power supply connections to main board in that same corner where all the damage was located. Your RAM may be close by too depending on the board layout.vidmate mobdro word counter

If this is a laptop it will be a little harder to inspect. But I'd inspect it for damage.

A memory test would be helpful too... as if the program lands on a bad memory address it can crash it hard. Other issue is if the memory or SIMM or DIMM slots are of different metal in contact I have seen gold contacts on tin corrode. So it might be worth looking at the RAM carefully removing them and inspecting for discoloration. If discolored I use a pencil eraser to carefully shine them up and just make sure the rubber fragments don't remain or end up in the SIMM or DIMM slot when installing to system again. If you run a memory test and all is good then there is no need to remove RAM and clean them up, but if you don't have a memory test and want to inspect them and clean them up if needed that's the method I use.

my issue got solved!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
      Really ? ?   Your issue is solved  ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "