Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing Operating System  (Read 3050 times)

andy29

Missing Operating System
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:35:05 AM »
hi,

I am stuck any help will be appreciated, i am facing boot problem with my pc which is a dual core 3.0 ghz 945gccr, 1 gb ram, 40 gb hard drive, system was workig ok till day before yesterday, i had 2 os on the drive c: Win 2000 (9gb), d: Win xp(22 gb ) , e: blank(4.5 gb). i was running out of space in win xp so tried to exten the d drive at the cost of e drive using paragom partition manager while doing that it got stuck and after reboot it said something like "Interrupted Operation....................." tried to repair 2000 and xp but in vain using win 2000 and win xp cds, now have installed xp on the second hard drive from where i am using net and 40 gb hardrive is connected to th system as slave(i can see all the folders in the c: drive as well d: drive and all the data intact ) c: drive 9 gb approx , d: drive 23.8(extended by 1.5 gb)approx  e drive 3 gb approx. i have tried repairing through recovery console using FIXMBR under C:/winnt as well in D:/windows/  now screenig says Missing Operating System, dont know what to do next please help.
Thanks
Andy

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
    Re: Missing Operating System
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:52:44 AM »
    It sounds like you had an unfortunate re-partitioning incident.  The good news is that your data is seemingly still intact.  The bad news is that it looks like you are going to have to completely re-install your OS's.

You've made a valiant effort so far in trying to repair your operating systems and it may still be possible, but I'm guessing you are going to need some fairly specialized help.  Now might be an excellent time for a harddrive upgrade.

techblue

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
      To start out you might want to upgrade your hard drive.
      secondly if you have your repair disks try using those.

but your best bet is to upgrade your hard drive and reinstall your OS, turn your existing drive into an external one to get your data from there to your new one..

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:12:43 AM »
      It's not necessary to get a new hard drive to retrieve the lost data.

You can hook up the current hard drive as a slave in another computer and get the data that way.

However, a new hard drive with a larger storage capacity may be beneficial.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »
      Anytime re-sizing a partition/drive is interrupted only disaster awaits...

You can try the slave drive method to retrieve what you can but don't be shocked if all your data is gone.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "