Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AGP Video Card Power & ATX12V Power Supply Manual Switches  (Read 3510 times)

BigfootIII

AGP Video Card Power & ATX12V Power Supply Manual Switches
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:02:59 PM »
I run a 2004 HP Pavillion XP with an AMD 2.08 & ddr 2700. It has 64mb integrated video & an AGP4X/8X slot; A7V8X-LA, VIA VT8378,  UNIVERSAL 1.5v AGP 3.0 MBO. 1.To convert to a 128 or 256 mb video card, will the cards require an external power attachment, such as from my spare floppy connector? 2. Will the BIOS handle an AGP 6200 card? 3. To update my 250w ATX12V power supply, what happens if the new psu has a manual on-off switch? My current unit has a remote front panel interrupt-type power switch. 4. My mbo handles SATA I. If I use a new PSU with SATA, will SATA II devices have built-in jumpers to convert back to SATA I?  5. The mbo supports a 3200+ processor, will DDR 3200, 400 mhz memory work with the current 2700+ 333 mhz processor; is this called overclocking?

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: AGP Video Card Power & ATX12V Power Supply Manual Switches
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »
Okay, hopefully I don't miss anything, that's quite a list :)

1. Video cards don't connect to the power supply, they draw the power through the mother board.

2. The AGP 6200 should work just fine, just remember to disable the integrated video in the bios.

3. The switches on the power supplies are just a master on/off, the power button on the front of the computer is
connected to your mother board.  Don't worry about that one.

4. Why not pick up a SATA II controller?  Treat yourself :)

5. No, it's not overclocking, I actually wouldn't recommend overclocking at all.  Whether or not your motherboard will actually work with the DDR 3200 that should be in your motherboard manual, or if you want me to look that up for you post your make and model of motherboard.  A good rule of thumb is to only get the type of RAM that is already installed.  I'm referring to the speed and type, not the size.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Evil is an exact science.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:37:56 PM »
Some graphics cards do require a 4 pin connector though.  A sata II device will work with a sata I controller

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »
Some graphics cards do require a 4 pin connector though.  A sata II device will work with a sata I controller.

I forgot about the four pin, thanks :)

Yes, SATA II will step down to SATA I, but there is a performance loss.  That's why I suggested the add on controller.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »
That ARC-1280 looks damned sweet, *censored* of a price though.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:21:32 PM »
It sure does look nice!