Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: keyboard typing by itself  (Read 11410 times)

Amostar

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: keyboard typing by itself
    « Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 04:27:15 AM »
    I have two amps, one 25 watt and one 100 watt. I can hook them together, so technically I could put them both on 10 at once. Does that count as going to 11? XD

...though, I'd never do that. I hardly ever put my 100 watt passed 3! That amp is LOUD!

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »
    Not really, because it's still really only at 10, what are you going to do if you need to go louder?

Besides which, connecting the two amps will fry one, they only accept line level for inputs.
    Evil is an exact science.

Amostar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »
      What do you mean it will fry one? I have a cord that's meant for that, and I've done it many times...

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »
      Unless you have a specific input for recieving an amplified signal you can fry the second amp in the chain.

I used to be a sound man for quite a few different bands, amplifiers do not like to process amplified signals.  One thing to note - if your amps are heads that jack into a cabinet there are some cabinets that will accept input from two different amps at one time.  They just combine the signals internally.

Gizmologist

Beginner

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »
        What is to be gained by daisy chaining two amps? Nothing. If you have a powered amp then the signal from the keyboard is already pre-amped to the appropriate level for the internal power amp.

If for some reason you need to connect the 1st amp to the second then you use a direct box (DI) with a line level or speaker level input. The DI will output an isolated signal of the correct level to the second amp. The inherent issue with this is that the signal to noise ratio will be greatly affected by the pre-existing noise floor of the first amp.

Under no circumstances do you ever connect the outputs of power amps together.

BTW on the thread start subject, the keyboard contacts are carbon pads separated by a very thin air gap between two layers of plastic. The carbon pad is very slightly convex so there is no contact between the layers unless a key is pressed and the top plastic layer is slightly deformed to collapse the upper layer onto the lower layer thereby completing the matrix circuit.

Even if the key returns to normal position, the contact sheet can still have a deformation that maintains a matrix contact to cause any letter to continually type.

Another possibility is that there is some sort of conductive debris that has migrated between the sheets and is making contact.

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
        What is to be gained by daisy chaining two amps? Nothing. If you have a powered amp then the signal from the keyboard is already pre-amped to the appropriate level for the internal power amp.

I couldn't tell you why you would want to do it.  Some amps do have a line level out that you could send to another amp that may have more power.  You would only do that if the first amp had an effect that you wanted to use, or if you wanted the smaller one as a monitor.

Amostar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
          I only did it a while back to have one amp facing me, and one facing out, more as a monitor. A friend of mine who is an electrician bought me the larger amp and the hook ups between the two, and I've never had a problem. I don't do that anymore though, since one amp stays at university and one stays at home. I would have never thought of hooking them up together anyway, but since the guy that bought it for me said it'd work fine, I did.

And Gizmologist, I have no idea what that really means, but perhaps that's what is wrong. There could be debris in the key that's for certain. I'll have to get someone to look at it I suppose.

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
          Yes, chances are you are either using a line level out to go to the second amp or a DI box as Gizmologist suggested.

MP1975

Apprentice
            « Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »

Who ya gonna call !

GHOST BUSTERS !!!!!!
            Dream untill your dreams come true.

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »
            Who ya gonna call

nah, I'd make some money off it and call the Enquirer.

Gizmologist

Beginner

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »
              Well disassembling a keyboard and getting all the little keys and rubber springs back in is a PITA. Just get a new keyboard.

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 09:38:15 PM »
              Just get a new keyboard.

It's on a laptop.  Personally I would just get a USB keyboard for it.