Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98; Need Help  (Read 15581 times)

hot dog

Re: Windows 98; Need Help
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 08:56:36 PM »
let me know how it goes...   :)

Quantos

Guru
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »
Recently, my CD drive burned out of it, and i had a spare so i plugged it in and it lit up, opens and closes so i assume it works. well, after tinkering i found out i was missing the file APPS.INF, and i obtained the file and went to look for the INF folder in the windows folder, but couldn't find it.

I just remembered something.

Depending on how old your computer is you won't be able to get a newer CD drive to work on it.  At one point(I don't remember exactly when it was) the standards changed and they were no longer backwards compatibe.
"Ah the agony, ah the shame, making one man's privates - public for a game..."  Mel Brooks

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
    well, this cd drive came out of a computer about the same age as mine, so i should've had no problems installing it boy, was i WRONG!!! :P

Quantos

Guru
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:20 PM »
    I just love PnP(Plug 'n' PRAY), it's so flawless....

"Ah the agony, ah the shame, making one man's privates - public for a game..."  Mel Brooks

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »
      you ain't lieing! ;D

hot dog

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 11:14:42 PM »
      so what's the deal, did you get Win98 installed, or have you run into a problem?

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 11:19:10 PM »
        i will try the installation tomorrow; computer i'm working on doesn't have a floppy drive. besides, it's 1:30 a.m here, i've been working on it all day and i want a break. i hope you'll be on tommorow blockhead, because i still might need you. i downloaded a windows 98 (1st edition) startup disk, copied it to a CD, and i should be going to a friends house tommorow with a floppy drive so i can make the disk. when it comes time to do the install, i'll post it on here and please don't wander too far away from your computer, because again i still might need you to walk me through this, being its the first time i've ever done anything like this ???

Quantos

Guru
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 11:26:23 PM »
        That's funny, he talks like we have lives apart from our computers...

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 11:36:17 PM »
          i always did think sleep was vital to help keeping the mind stimulated, but........... ;D

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »
            thaks again blockhead, will work a little more on this. followed your link on how to manually make a boot disk. will this still work even with how screwed up my system is?

hot dog

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 12:14:13 AM »
            If you are unable to make a boot disk using windows 98, just download a bootdisk from here:   http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Download the Windows 98 SE Custom disk.............

It's simple...once you download it, put a floppy disk into the floppy drive, double-click on boot disk to open it and click RUN, it will automatically extract the files to the floppy disk, with no effort on your part....   wammo      you've got your bootable floppy disk   ;)

Quantos

Guru
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 12:15:55 AM »
            i always did think sleep was vital to help keeping the mind stimulated, but...

Nah, that dull listless feeling that you get makes PnP easier to deal with.   ;D

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »
              so to make a boot disk, i just click on the download, click RUN, and it will automatically save the files on the floppy disk?

hot dog

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
              yes, you will see a few prompts, asking "are you sure" and such and such, but yes

Quantos

Guru
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #44 on: June 29, 2009, 11:46:27 AM »
              You had to specifically Mail MS to get the floppy version of either.

BC, that's not entirely correct.  When Windows 95 was first released, the CD's were delayed in shipping.  For the first two weeks you could only buy it on floppy, yes it was 40 floppies - but it was a stripped down version.

A few of my customers at the time were really pissed because they couldn't wait.  They just had to be the first on the block with it.  Ah well, I'd warned them that it would be missing stuff.