Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98; Need Help  (Read 26539 times)

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Windows 98; Need Help
    « Reply #60 on: June 30, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
    should CMOS setup be displayed like a DOS screen, or what should it look like? ???

hot dog

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2009, 03:37:28 PM »
    congratulations bil_drk, you have found CMOS  :)

Yes, it looks like DOS..

Now, once you are in CMOS setup, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate around, generally, pushing the left and right arrow keys allow you to navigate to the different available categories.... and the UP/DOWN arrow keys let you select what you want to do in each sub-category...   Look in each category and look for something that resembes, Start Order, Boot Order, Drive Order, Start Sequence, or Boot Sequence.....something along those lines....catch my drift?       Once you have found that let me know and I'll guide you through changing the order of the drives..

hot dog

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2009, 03:44:22 PM »
    oh, you might have to use the ENTER key on your keyboard to actually enter certain categories to change...In other words, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate through CMOS and use the ENTER key to select objects for editing...The ESC key lets you back out of a category, once entered..

edit: sometimes there are on-screen instructions that tell you what to do once something is highlighted with the cursor..
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:01:58 PM by blockHEAD »

bil_drk

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »
      there is still one problem; my computer shut off after entering CMOS, and now it wont let me back in (i left it to do a few  chores), and when i returned, the computer was shut down. i don't know what to do now! :-[, however i can still enter the computer's main setup utility ???

hot dog

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »
      We need to get you back into the CMOS set up if we are going to reinstall Windows..

Make sure all data cables are secured and that the power chord is secured to the wall outlet....     It might do you some good to open up your computer and check for dust...There is a chance that your computer over heated while you were doing chores and that's why it shut down.....Make sure the inside is virtually dust free and that the Heat sink that covers the processor ( the shinny thing on the motherboard with the fan on top of it) is dust free.....Also, make sure all fans are spinning while the computer is on.

If there is dust inside the computer, you'll have to go buy yourself a giant can of compressed air...