Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound in only one ear/speaker?  (Read 6338 times)

Gizmologist

Beginner

Re: Sound in only one ear/speaker?
    « Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »
    OK a little clarity is in order here.

OBVIOUSLY I am not talking about a carelessly soldered connector ON the motherboard. I am referring to a connector on the end of the twisted cable going from the mobo to the headphone jack. One of the pins may have been slightly bent or when the cable connector was placed on the header on the mobo, one of the pins may have been missed and the connector is sitting on 2 of the 3 pins.

The clicking sound is usually not an issue as some manufacturers use inexpensive ICs to toggle audio on or off some eve use DIP relays.  (miniature contact enclosed relays)

There evidently  is a slight DC component in the audio signal. Audio is an AC signal but less expensive amplifier designs can permit a small DC voltage in the audio. This is the reason for electrolytic capacitors in the output stage of an amplifier of this type. The capacitor passes the AC audio signal but blocks the DC signal.

They MAY be a problem on the mobo but I believe it is a new unit (if memory of the original post serves) so I would look at the obvious first.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 04:46:52 PM »
    Just because a connector may have been carelessly installed on a MoBo does not mean the board is defective.

I sure as the *censored* wouldn't keep it in my computer.  I don't care what your experience is, but if they missed that at QA then who knows how the rest of it is.
    Evil is an exact science.

Gizmologist

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »
      I am not talking about the construction of the mobo assembly.

I am referring to the final computer assembly when the power switch, HDD LED, and headphone/microphone jacks mounted to the chassis are connected to the mobo.

The mobo is QA'd before the final assembly team gets it on the production line. If a computer is assembled on site such as BestBuy etc, there probably for errors is very high. If someone assembles the computer at home from discrete parts, there is a good chance as well something may be missed.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 06:49:13 PM »
      I am referring to the final computer assembly when the power switch, HDD LED, and headphone/microphone jacks mounted to the chassis are connected to the mobo.

Oh, okay, gotcha, sorry man.
      I think I'll go make another pot of coffee :)

You could very well be right, I was thinking the jacks on the back of the box.  Your thinking the remotes on the front.
      Evil is an exact science.

hnbmilk

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »
        I added a PCI sound card and everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)

Gizmologist

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »
          OK, but you still didn't find the cause of the original problem. Personally it would bug me if something like that went unsolved but if you have stereo sound and are happy, that's all that matters. Enjoy.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »
          I added a PCI sound card and everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks a lot for the help guys :)

Ok, good deal.  ;D

Just out of curiosity, what card did you get?