Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dell computer with windows 98  (Read 10678 times)

kurplegirl

dell computer with windows 98
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:38:54 AM »
does anyone know anything about dells, i have a friend that has a dell xps t600r computer with windows 98 it also has on the tower windows nt, but anyway it wont boot to windows either and i cant change the boot sequence in it either to boot to a floopy it will boot to a windows 95 boot disk even though it has windows 98 onit but it does nothing else, someone gave it to her so she reallly doesnt know if it was working or not, also the cd writter and the dvd player was not hooked uo when i opened the caseing also there is a red light on the main board when u turn it on when its off its just a silver piece thing , i have never seen one with a red light were this was located, so is this the problem please tell me thanks so much

merlin_2

Re: dell computer with windows 98
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 11:28:53 AM »
will it boot if you hold the f8 <safemode> on start-up.....

kurplegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 12:18:02 PM »
no it wont boot pushing f8 key, do u know anything about a red light being on i think its the motherboard and its not like were a light should be

Computer_Commando

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 12:40:03 PM »
does anyone know anything about dells, i have a friend that has a dell xps t600r computer with windows 98 it also has on the tower windows nt, but anyway it wont boot to windows either and i cant change the boot sequence in it either to boot to a floopy it will boot to a windows 95 boot disk even though it has windows 98 onit but it does nothing else, someone gave it to her so she reallly doesnt know if it was working or not, also the cd writter and the dvd player was not hooked uo when i opened the caseing also there is a red light on the main board when u turn it on when its off its just a silver piece thing , i have never seen one with a red light were this was located, so is this the problem please tell me thanks so much

Is there a Windows 95 boot floppy present in your Floppy Disk drive?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 12:40:19 PM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 12:49:24 PM »
...do u know anything about a red light being on i think its the motherboard and its not like were a light should be

Where is light?

kurplegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 01:43:27 PM »
the red light looking thing is close to #30
also yes there is a windows 95 boot floppy i have also ryed to boot it with a windows 98 boot disk because it is supposed to have windows 98 and windows nt on the dell and with a universal boot disk it will go to an  a prompt but when i go to c prompt and type in dir there is none but it states volume in drive c is winnt and volume serial number is 3671-1404 then it says directory of c and thats it
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:51:21 PM by kurplegirl »

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 03:36:19 PM »
well did you look at the back of the pc>>.http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/codemess.htm

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 05:30:52 PM »
the red light looking thing is close to #30
also yes there is a windows 95 boot floppy i have also ryed to boot it with a windows 98 boot disk because it is supposed to have windows 98 and windows nt on the dell and with a universal boot disk it will go to an  a prompt but when i go to c prompt and type in dir there is none but it states volume in drive c is winnt and volume serial number is 3671-1404 then it says directory of c and thats it

30 - Flea power indicator (whatever that means, LOL).  Maybe, +5VDC Standby.
If WinNT is formatted NTFS, Win95 and Win98 boot disks will not be able to see anything.  You need to load an NTFS for DOS reader:  http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdos.shtml

kurplegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 07:45:23 PM »
yeah its by the #30 stays red all the time but isnt a light when computer is off its a flat silver looking thing

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 06:00:43 AM »
yeah its by the #30 stays red all the time but isnt a light when computer is off its a flat silver looking thing

Then do as Computer_Commando has told you to...

Computer_Commando

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 12:53:54 PM »

It's called an LED, (L)ight (E)mitting (D)iode.

kurplegirl

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 11:53:28 AM »
no its not a led light its were a light shouldnt be and anyhow no other computer has it

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 12:02:58 PM »
I believe that Computer_Commando has stated exactly what the LED stands for and what you have to do.

30 - Flea power indicator (whatever that means, LOL).  Maybe, +5VDC Standby.
If WinNT is formatted NTFS, Win95 and Win98 boot disks will not be able to see anything.  You need to load an NTFS for DOS reader:  http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdos.shtml

There it makes no sense for you to deny what it is and why it is there. I suggest you do as Computer_Commando stated.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 12:03:55 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 06:00:27 PM »
The red light may indicate that the mobo has power to it?? concertrate on the problem. in hand.......forget the right led......see dell main site........sorry joleen but .....its make it and the shove it to the wally who buys it.

kurplegirl

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 08:59:39 PM »
ireally dont care what the computer commando said i called a computer tech and they said to get rid of the computer because it was no good so the computer is history ok ok ok

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 10:33:04 AM »
ireally dont care what the computer commando said i called a computer tech and they said to get rid of the computer because it was no good so the computer is history ok ok ok

The arrogance... Do not ever bother posting here again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 10:33:19 AM by Raptor »