Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista freezing problem?  (Read 8973 times)

10twenty

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Vista freezing problem?
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
Hello everyone, I have a problem with vista "freezing" on my computer.

I recently built my own computer, I never did that before so its still fairly new to me (very different from OEM computers). That was two months ago, the last two weeks my computer started experiencing random freezing where everything freezes (stops responding) except the mouse cursor.
It would do that after an hour or two when idle. I generally have the screen turn itself off after 20 minutes, when I move the mouse to use the computer again the screen turns back on but windows stops responding. I can't open any windows or do anything to do with Windows.
I first suspected something was overheating, the last computer that I experienced similar problems was an old Powerspec PC with a Pentium 2 processor, When the CPU or graphics card got too hot in that computer it would freeze up/lock up. The IOH chip on my motherboard runs quite hot, about 60C on average, at first I thought something was wrong but from other buyer reviews and even the manufacturer says its normal. The motherboard came with a power saving program that displays the CPU temp, IOH and ICH temps. I installed Rivatuner v2.24 to see the GPU temp. The CPU temp never gets above 40C even at full load, the graphics card never gets above 45C even at full load. SO I think its probably not overheating. I don't know what else to check to find the solution to the freezing problem.

my computer specs:
Intel i7 920 CPU 2.67GHz quad core with HT
MSI X58 Platinum Motherboard
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
EVGA GTS250 Superclocked edition
G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 10666
Corsair TX850 watt PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB SATAII HDD
Antec 900 gaming case

please help me?

Mulreay

Re: Vista freezing problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 06:42:05 AM »
Where is your copy of Vista from?

The IOH chip on my motherboard runs quite hot, about 60C on average, at first I thought something was wrong but from other buyer reviews and even the manufacturer says its normal.

That is VERY hot. 45 degrees is about the norm.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 02:57:17 AM »
I agree with Mulreay, that is very hot, if that temp is taken at idle and not during an intensive process.
Evil is an exact science.

10twenty

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
I got the OS from microcenter. they sold slightly discounted Vista OS for "system builders".

The IOH temp varies from 48C to 65C. the MSI manufacturer claim the maximum allowable temp is 100C.

I would like to replace the IOH heatsink but its connected by heat pipes to another heatsink, that smaller heatsink is directly under where the graphics card goes. If I replace the IOH heatsink I'll have to remove the other heatsink too. but I can't fit a smaller heatsink there so replacing the factory IOH heatsink isn't an option.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:41:37 AM »
Did MicroCenter give you a DVD with Vista ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
    MSI X58 motherboards are NOTORIOUS for hot IOH temps.

The rest of your PC could be a ****ing igloo, and your IOH can be running at 60C or higher!!!

Unfortunately, it's a design flaw on MSI's part. 

You have a few options for addressing the issue in order from least to most amount of work involved:

1) Put a small fan on the IOH heat sink.  It might not help all that much, but it's minimal work to do so.

2) Remove the spring-loaded bolts off of the IOH heat sink and use something better to tighten it down so the heat sink has better contact.

3) Remove the IOH heat sink, clean off the thermal crap MSI used and use something better like some flavor of Arctic Silver instead.

4) Remove the IOH heat sink and use a third-party cooling solution like the Thermalright HR-05 IFX.  Don't use the HR-05 SLI/IFX for the IOH--the fins will get in the way of your CPU's heat sink, the video card, or whatever you may have in the first PCI-e x1 slot. 

For your Southbridge, you could either mount the existing heat pipe solution upside down and turn the unmounted IOH heat sink 90 degrees out of the way or you can use a Thermalright HR-05 IFX or SLI/IFX (probably the SLI/IFX because the video card will most likely get in the way of the regular IFX.

Thermalright HR-05 IFX:
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/chipset/hr05_ifx/product_chitset_cooler_hr05_ifx.htm

Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX:
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/chipset/hr05_sli_ifx/product_chitset_cooler_hr05_sli_ifx.htm

In any case, I normally like MSI products, but they screwed up with the X58 Pro boards.  I'm already RMAing mine now...
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.