Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My fan Is ready for take off  (Read 9614 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: My fan Is ready for take off
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »
I have only three fans: one on the back panel, CPU fan, video card fan.
Yeah, until you fix it, open the case, get a house fan, and point it toward the case. It should help a bit.

Teeman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
    I was just thinking. I have my tower on the desk. Just so I don't kick it on the floor.

So my screen is vary close to it. Do you think the heat from my 22" screen and play a part too?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »
    Nah. It' even better, if it's elevated. I assume, you have some open space around it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
    Just wanted to mention that I service HP Desktops for my employer and we had a rash of them with thermal compound failures causing them you sould like an airplane ready for lift off. Ours are socket 478 Pentium 4 systems. The thermal compound becomes chalky and fails to transfer the heat to the 1lb block of copper heatsink. After removing the heatsink and taking q-tips to carefully wipe off the failed compound and have 2 clean surfaces the CPU top and the heatsink surface, I added Artic Silver Thermaltake to the CPU and fastened down the heatsink and had a 60 ->65 degree C drop to 35-> 40 degree C.

The Pentium 4's naturally run hot anyways, and the problem we had prior to fixing this was that they were too loud for the offices sounding like jet engines, and they were thermalclocking down to protect themselves from CPU meltdown, which was causing the systems to become NOISEY and SLOWER.

Check your thermal compound to make sure it is not dried up, and have arctic silver or another higher end thermal compound to apply new to the surface after cleaning the old away with q-tips carefully.

***Also FYI: We also had a rash of these also have power capacitors near the heatsink that were swolen and leaking electrolyte out of their tops in which 5 of 20 systems had to become decommissioned due to risk of smoke show or fire. I contacted HP and India Support were oblivious to this issue.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »
    Thanks Dave for heads up :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib