Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista freezes to death  (Read 2812 times)

doublehappy

Topic Starter

Vista freezes to death
    « on: July 07, 2009, 04:24:22 AM »
    Hi  - sorry this is going to be a ridiculously long post

I recently bought a new Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Business. I used it  for about three weeks, installed a few games, office, ripped all my cds etc. without any problems.

The other day I left it on for a few hours - not connected to the internet - but when I got back I couldn't get it to wake from hibernation. Eventually I gave up and hard reset it, as I was out of ideas and needed to return an email. It rebooted normally as far as I could tell but after about five minutes explorer started crashing repeatedly. This continued for about twenty minutes. "Explorer has encountered a problem..." etc. until I rebooted (Start>Shut Down). The next boot lasted about two minutes before explorer crashes began again.

This time it froze up after about five minutes of crashes and I could only move my mouse. Ctrl + Alt + Del didn't work, and I had no option but to hard reset.  Now I can usually boot up and it generally freezes between 10 seconds and ten minutes after logging in. I have disabled every process and service through msconfig/services.msc/etc. to no avail. I have tried running diagnostics etc. but of course it freezes up before I can finish. Occasionally I can push it out to longer without crashing but usually in that case it'll be something minor, like clicking, that freezes it up.

Unfortunately most of Windows' diagnostic tools don't work in Safe Mode. For the most part, I can browse and do things in Safe Mode without freezing up, though I have had one or two, possibly unrelated, freezes (these might just be due to trying to do things in Safe Mode that rely on disabled services?)

So, okay, I give up trying to fix it and get out the Recovery disks I burnt on day one. These run their first menu and I select an option such as repair/recover or whatever and I get a message along the lines of  "Could not open the folder" and the computer reboots.

I'm assuming that I can probably just restore the whole thing to factory conditions from Windows if need be, and that's going to be my final resort, but for now I have two major problems:

1. the fact that the computer keeps freezing up and is basically unusable.

2. the fact that I cannot make backups no matter how hard I try. I connect my external hard drive, transfer as much as I can  and then it crashes. This happens in Safe Mode as well. If it doesn't crash, the file transfer just freezes. I even tried running cmd "xcopy c:\foldername\ i:\ /e /i /h" or similar and it stopped transferring about 1/3 of the way through. On one occasion I pinpointed the exact file where it was stopping the transfer consistently on windows, cmd, and safe mode, but on the next try it stopped somewhere else. I'm at my wit's end. I've got my important data on a usb stick, but I wanted to save some of my music which is ripped from vinyl, and my OneNote notebooks which no matter how hard I try I can't transfer.

I've tried HijackThis, all the spyware tools, every diagnostic tool in the world, and nothing ever makes it all the way through without crashing, even in Safe Mode. Please don't tell me it's hardware :(

Apologies for the essay! If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Vista freezes to death
      « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
      Create a Windows PE disc and copy from your boot drive to your backup drive through the PE environment:

How to create a Windows PE disc:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,87312.0.html

When booting into PE, you'll get a command prompt on top of Windows wallpaper.

You can accomplish two things through PE:

1) Copying your files from your boot drive to a backup drive using the command prompt.
      2) Running CHKDSK or any other commands against your boot drive to check for bad sectors.

Also, create a Memtest 86 disc:

http://www.memtest.org/

Boot from this to test for any bad memory/RAM.
      « Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:04:34 PM by killerb255 »
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »
      I recently bought a new Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Business. I used it  for about three weeks
      Return it.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
        Return it.

...or that.  ;D

Seriously, Broni's right.  If it's defective, get a replacement.
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

doublehappy

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:15:33 PM »
          Haha thanks I'll try PE to backup and run some diagnostics.

Everything I've seen so far leads me to believe it's a software issue, which is not warrantied.