Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with User Profile logon and Blue Screen  (Read 14736 times)

10thousandK

Problems with User Profile logon and Blue Screen
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:30:30 AM »
In the morning on July 3, I turned on my laptop and tried to login as usual. For some reason, before my account was finished loading (the background was still black and there was no taskbar), there was a small box on the screen that said something like "loading personalized settings" or "custom appearance" (sorry, I can't remember), and my Symantec Endpoint Protection started my scheduled weekly scan. When loaded, my User Profile looked different than usual (the background was black with no image, I was missing some desktop icons, and it looked a lot like Safe Mode), so I tried restarting my computer to see if it would make a difference. I have been having problems logging into my User Profile ever since. I only have one User Profile (mine), and I am the system administrator.

After restarting my laptop, I tried to login again. However, I got this message, "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded." and was sent back to the screen in the beginning. I tried several times with no change. After an improper shutdown (I pushed the power button), I found that Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking work fine. I was even able to backup my important files to an external harddrive.

I decided to try a System Restore. The choices listed with "Windows Update" were "7/3/2009 1:57:37 AM" and "6/29/2009 11:42:03 PM". I do not remember seeing a Windows Update when I shutdown the night before (usually it loads 2 of 3 parts, then restarts my comp, loads the 3rd part, and lets me use the comp normally), so I chose the "6/29/2009" Restore Point.

The next time I tried to logon in Normal Mode, I was able to login, though the screen went completely white and blank for a few seconds before my profile started loading. When my profile was loaded, everything looked good (my background wallpaper was back, even AIM loaded). But in only a couple of minutes, I got a blue screen! My computer did an automatic shutdown and restarted. This has been happening ever since.

Whenever I log in (in any mode), I get the following message: "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Windows can check online for a solution to the problem. Problem Signature: Problem Event Name:BlueScreen, Locale ID:1003".

I also get some Symantec notices. Usually they say "Symantec Endpoint Protection has determined that the virus definitions are missing on this computer. This computer will remain unprotected from viruses until virus definitions are downloaded to this computer." and once it said something about an error with "Symantec CMC SmcGui". When I open the Symantec program to check, it says that the "Symantec Management Client Service" is not running or failed to start (Error Code returned:0x8007043c).

After a couple of minutes, I get the blue screen again. It always says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

I've been thinking that the majority of the problem might rest with my Symantec program, not my computer or Microsoft. But I can't uninstall Symantec while in Safe Mode because Windows Installer doesn't want to work in Safe Mode. I can't uninstall Symantec, and I can't figure out how to fix my laptop, either.

So in conclusion, I can logon in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking with no problems. Everything seems to work fine, even the internet (though my clock's time is messed up). But Normal Mode (where I keep my background wallpaper and everything isn't stretched out) keeps getting the blue screen. It restarts my computer before I can uninstall Symantec.

I need help! I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Mulreay

Re: Problems with User Profile logon and Blue Screen
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:12:05 AM »
Obviously BSOD's are a pain. Have you or better still can you perform a full virus scan?

10thousandK

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:38:55 AM »
I just finished running Kasperky's virus scan and it found over ten threats in my Symantec files. However, I can't figure out how to uninstall Symantec in Normal Mode (because it only opens for a few seconds before I get the BSOD).

Does anyone know how to unistall program files without using Normal Mode? Is it possible to just delete everything?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:43 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "