Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Top Computer Issues  (Read 2087 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Top Computer Issues
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:56:25 AM »
Hey All! I'm just back because I have a question -- don't try to get me to stick around forever  ;)

For a project I need to accomplish, I am compiling a book of basic troubleshooting.
Being as I work in education, and plan on continuing to to so, this book is for teachers at my school (rephrase: this book is for people who don't know a thing about computers).

I need to know, what are the top issues that all of you computer experts come up with, that can be solved without opening the computer, or being an administrator?

Eg: Screen Resolution problems, turning on my projector makes my screen go blank, Microsoft Word keeps displaying an error message...

For those of you who know me, and want to hear about how I am doing:

School got out last month, as most other schools, and my summer has actually been fairly boring. I am going on a missions trip to Thailand and India July 20th through August 7th. I am planning out college, and that has been going smoothly (for the most part). I plan to attend Wenatchee Valley College (www.wvc.edu) taking their Network Administration program (two-year) leaving me with a degree in Network Administration.
Most of my electives will be music based.
Hopefully, after my college day (6:30AM to 12PM, including Bus Transportation) I may be working for the school district as part-time tech guy (which, is what I did last year anyways... they know my skill and ability to work with the teachers and other staff in the school, which gives me a great advantage)

Life has been going like a well-maintained record -- occasionally, the needle weight isnt set right, and suddenly a huge skip occurs and you have to go back to the beginning again... but its all worthwhile.

- Jesse Zylstra

gothsleepy1

Rookie

Re: Top Computer Issues
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »
    I'd say the "top" computer problem is hackers and virus'!!!
    Cyberdefender's easy to use program and preventing virus by blocking them before corrupting answered one of those problems for me now hackers are next to be stopped ;)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »
    I support a couple of workgroups with some computers and a majority of ThinClients.

On the hardware side. we get a lot of mice and keyboard that stop working.  Once we unplug them and replug them into their USB ports, they are fine.

Sometimes, power cords work loose from the backs of CRT monitors.

Laptops will "die" and replacements will have to be reimaged.  We've had to do that with a few desktops, too.

We had a bout of some trojan virus that went around, and we had to erase profiles.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:01:26 PM »
    I didn't do top computer problems for my school, but solutions to common problems and suggestions to improve performance.
    Such as changing themes, resolutions, graphic'display settings, power options, user accounts, ect.

I'll have the webpage up in a few weeks.