Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange Behavior  (Read 28770 times)

Sapphire

Strange Behavior
« on: May 26, 2005, 08:27:51 PM »
Hi! I'm seeking some help for a problem I am having. Last week I downloaded and installed the My Comet Cursor software from the site Download.com. I was able to install this software using the Netscape 7.2 browser. When I decided to uninstall the comet cursor software, I had the option to download the uninstall tool using Netscape.  After trying this, when I start up my computer I get a download file window that flashes on the screen for a few quick seconds, than it disappears.

This file download window is weird. The file it is supposed to download changes from realsched.exe, to aoltray.exe.

I have Panda Titanium 2004 antivirus on my computer, but a full virus scan dosn't find anything.

I also used the free Symantec virus scan on their website. I ran spyware scans using Ad-Aware Personal SE, and Microsoft Antispyware. None of these scans find anything.

Last night I tried to download and install the Norton Antivirus 30 free trial software, but it wouldn't intall in full. After trying to install that, I recieved another one of those strange file download windows, that flashes for a few seconds. This file download window says jusched.exe.

I am running Windows XP Professional on my computer.

In addition to these strange file  download windows, I am unable to access some of my control panel. I cannot get into Add/ Remove programs, I cannot get into the User accounts, I cannot get into the display or sysyem sections. When I double click on the computer clock in the right hand corner of the screen, that doesn't open to reveal the calender and option to adjust the time.

Thanks for your time, and any help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 08:32:04 PM by Sapphire »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Strange Behavior
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 08:37:56 PM »
    Your file download windows sound like programs checking for updates. Google each of their names and you will see.
    As to your last question, are you logged in with admin rights?

Sapphire

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 09:48:52 PM »
    Thanks for your response. I did google all the exe file names, but that doesn't explain much how to stop those windows from popping up. If this is harmless, than I won't let these windows bother me.

Yes, I have Admin. rights, and am still operating as the Admin. account.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 10:29:15 PM »
      Sapphire...... I just went looking and found this info .......hopefully it will help you .
      http://www.pchell.com/support/cometcursor.shtml

I also reads several reviews on the app.........definitely not something I'd want on my machines ........too much trouble .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 11:41:19 PM »
        You should be able to stop these auto updates from within each program...

realsched.exe = The Real Player automatic update
        IMO Real Player is like a virus itself, I use Real Alternative which does everything and is not invasive as Real Player is. Even a small amount of research in google would convince you to delete it & use Real Alternative instead.

aoltray.exe = Puts AOL icon in System Tray (*.* denotes version if present). Connect to AOL via the desktop shortcut or Start -> Programs
        This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources.

jusched.exe = This is Sun's Java automatic update
        If you would like to disable this scheduler then go to your control panel and click on the java module. The go to the updates tab and uncheck "check for updates automatically".

I am unable to access some of my control panel. I cannot get into Add/ Remove programs, I cannot get into the User accounts, I cannot get into the display or sysyem sections. When I double click on the computer clock in the right hand corner of the screen, that doesn't open to reveal the calender and option to adjust the time.  

Are your Anti Virus/Spyware/Everything programs fully updated?

Have an online check here.
        http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
        and let us know how things are.  :)

Sapphire

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 12:39:14 AM »
        Hi Fed! I ran the active scan for Panda, all it found was some Adware and spyware, but didn't eliminate any of it.

Yes, all my programs are fully updated.

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 05:19:31 PM »
          You should first clean your computer of all adware and spyware, then worry about what's not working after that. It's very important to make sure that all tools are up to date before using them and to check with multiple tools for the same tasks because some pick up things that others miss.
          You will probably have to remove some bugs manually but just take them one at a time.

Sapphire

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 10:25:54 PM »
          Okay, I re-ran the Panda activescan, and deleted everything adware/spyware except the registry key results because I cannot figure out how to do that.

I can't enter the registry by going Start/Run/RegEdit, because when I hit enter nothing happens.

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 10:55:46 PM »
            Now just to re-cap...
            Your only problem now is
            I am unable to access some of my control panel. I cannot get into Add/ Remove programs, I cannot get into the User accounts, I cannot get into the display or sysyem sections. When I double click on the computer clock in the right hand corner of the screen, that doesn't open to reveal the calender and option to adjust the time.

and the things we know as facts are
            1)You have run multiple updated anti-spyware/virus programs and come up clean.
            2)You are definitely logged on as Administrator.

If this is the case can you download & run Hijackthis and place the logfile in here.
            You may also want to try the log here
            http://www.hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=english for yourself.
            You can get Hijackthis from the above address.
            « Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 06:45:41 AM by Fed »

Sapphire

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 07:26:38 AM »
            I downloaded it, but I can't open it.

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
            reboot pc .......hold down the f8 key.........scan for bugs<safe mode>..... or chose the last good config do you have  a firewall??/
            « Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 02:48:49 PM by merlin_2 »

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 04:20:51 PM »
              Also run stinger http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ while in safe mode.
              Read the instructions about turning off system restore before running.

Sapphire

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 06:19:26 PM »
              Fed, I ran the Stinger scan, but it didn't find anything. Guess that's a good thing, right?

Merlin_2, I'm not sure what it is you want me to do while running safe mode? The only firewall I am using at this time is the XP firewall. When I go into control panel, network connections, change settings, and check that box for that firewall.

Fed

• Sage
                « Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 07:05:59 PM »
                Do something for me?
                Go to Start>Run and type regedit.exe (full name).

Sapphire

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 09:31:21 PM »
                If something is supposed to happen, it doesn't. I typed regedit.exe and hit enter, and nothing happened.