Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange Behavior  (Read 28840 times)

Raptor

Re: Strange Behavior
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2005, 06:31:28 AM »
Who are you speaking to, Fed?

Sapphire

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2005, 08:16:09 AM »
Fed was talking to me. I don't know for sure that I am logged in as the administrator. I have my computer set up with me as an Admin. account. When I start the computer I get the welcome screen with my Screen name for the admin. account. I also have it set  up, so I have to enter a password when the welcome screen comes on.
_______________________________________ __________

DL65, no I cannot get into the Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 08:17:49 AM by Sapphire »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #62 on: May 31, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »
    Sapphire, sorry for the interrogation, it's just that all the reading I've done suggests that an mere lowly user account can't access all the things you're having trouble getting to. (Clock, Add & Remove, Users, etc)
    I did accept your login status after my 1st post but when you had the Hijackthis install problem
    Why didn't someone tell me I had to extract the hijackthis.exe file from the zipped folder?

I began to think you could have been mistaken.
    Being unable to access your 'Users' makes it hard to check your Admin rights haven't been removed or altered too?
    I wonder if there's a prize for the longest running thread  :D

Sapphire

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2005, 04:37:41 PM »
    What I get out of it is the Admin. account is the only account that can download and install programs. I have been able to download and install stuff.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #64 on: May 31, 2005, 05:14:35 PM »
      From my computer (w2k) I'm not sure for xp...

Users are prevented from making accidental or intentional system-wide changes.  Thus, Users can run certified applications, but not most legacy applications

Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain

Guests have the same access as members of the Users group by default, except for the Guest account which is further restricted

Sapphire

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »
      My computer says the same thing.

merlin_2

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2005, 07:00:59 PM »
      do you have important files on this pc.......i recommend a re-install.......while disconnected from the net......and this may help you in the future>>tweak>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.........dont touch comet cursor?/

Sapphire

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2005, 07:53:18 PM »
      What would be considered important? I have some audio, and video files that I wouldn't want to lose. I have no way of saving the video files.

Re-install what? Windows XP? How do I do that?

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #68 on: June 01, 2005, 04:10:46 PM »
        I'm not sure that being able to download & install programs is any proof of being logged in as Admin with unrestricted access to your computer.

Does anyone else have access to your computer who may have altered things in Users & Passwords?

Can you remember if this problem started at the same time as the comet download or auto update thing or could these 3 things be totally unrelated?

Re-installing xp is a sure fire way of fixing it but we will nevr know what the problem was, it's a matter for you.

Sapphire

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2005, 04:28:43 PM »
        Nope, I'm the only person who touches this computer.

I downloaded the Comet Cursor, but it wasn't working. So I decided to uninstall it. They have a special uninstall page to do that. I was able to install, using Netscape, so I chose to uninstall using Netscape. I was instructed to download the uninstaller, and that's when this problem occured.