Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED AFTER ADDING MEMORY  (Read 6667 times)

ashdbash

Topic Starter

Starter

please help.
    im running xp pro 2002 version sp3 on my custom built pc
    it has a A8V deluxe motherboard and AMD  athlon 64bit processor 3800+
    2 x 1 gb pc3200 (400) ram and trying to add another 2 x 1gb of ram of excactly the same make.
    when i installed them and booted pc i got the error messege
    USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED
    SYSTEM WILL SHUT DOWN AFTER 15 SECONDS
    please note i had no USB devices plugged in, i then took out the 2x 1gb memory sticks i had just put in and booted without error, how can i resolve the problem of installing the extra ram without errors, thanks ash

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED AFTER ADDING MEMORY
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
    USB DEVICE OVER CURRENT STATUS DETECTED
    SYSTEM WILL SHUT DOWN AFTER 15 SECONDS

At what point do you get this error?

I know the first display is usually the video card and video RAM.  Does the system run through POST at all?  Can you get to the BIOS, to see the RAM, there?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

ashdbash

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »
      thanks but i figured it with alot of research, just incase anyone else gets the same problem, just roll back the bios version to 1014 and the pc will pick up 4 sticks of 1gb ram straight away newer bios has bugs, all bios versions and tools can be found on the asus website. thanks again for your help

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 05:39:01 PM »
      I'm not the most experienced guy on here, but one of my most consistent messages is not to flash the BIOS, or do it as the very last resort.  As you found, it often causes more problems than it fixes -- and sometimes, you can't roll back once you've done it!!

I know why people do it, sometimes -- they've updated drivers, so they figure, update the BIOS.  No -- please don't.  Too much of a chance of getting this  :'( instead of this  :).

I'm glad you were able to roll back, and we thank you for letting us know the solution.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"