Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstalled windows me and having trouble with the windows 98 left on computer  (Read 4781 times)

babydobi

I HAVE A COMPUTER I HAD UPGRADED FROM A WINDOWS 98 TO A WINDOWS MILLENIUM RAN BEAUTIFUL FOR YEARS KIDS MESSED UP COMPUTER I COULD SYSTEM RESTORE AND I COULDN'T GO INTO SAFE MODE SO I DECIDED TO GET WHAT I WANTED OFF COMPUTER AND UNINSTALL THE WINDOWS MILLENIUM AND GO BACK TO WINDOWS 98 STILL ON COMPUTER. WELL WINDOWS ME UNINSTALLED AND NOW THE WINDOWS 98 WON'T WORK EITHER. WHEN LOADING WINDOWS IT SAYS CANNOT FIND A DEVICE THAT MAY BE NEEDEDD TO RUN WINDOWS OR A WINDOWS APPLICATION, THE WINDOWS REGISTRY OR SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE BUT THE DEVICE FILE NO LONGER EXISTS. IF YOU DELETED THIS FILE ON PURPOSE, TRY UNINSTALLING THE ASSOCIATED APPLICATION USING IT'S UNINSTALL OR SETUP PROGRAM. IF YOU STILL WANT TO USE THE APPLICATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DEVICE FILE, TRY REINSTALLING THAT APPLICATION TO REPLACE THE MISSING FILE. THEN IT SHOWS C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAP.VXD PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE SO I DO THAT THEN IT SAYS EVERYTHING AGAIN TIL C:\PROGRA~1SYMATEC\SYMEVNT.386 PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE AND I DO SAYS ALL THAT AGAIN TIL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd then press any key to continue AND I DO THEN EVERYHING AGAIN TIL MSMOUSE.VXD PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE AND I DO.THEN WE WAIT A MINUTE ANDI SEE THE WINDOWS 98 BACKROUND DETECTS MOUSE AND WIZARD SEARCHES FOR NEW DRIVERS FOR OPTICAL MOUSE THEN FREEZES TRIED RESTORE POINT AND STILL NOTHING

pragma

Beginner

Please turn off caps lock. Posting in all capital letters makes your post harder to read, plus it is considered the text equivalent of shouting.
    Please tell us how you uninstalled Windows ME and how you reinstalled Windows 98?

Keithuk

Rookie

• Martin2k
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Please turn off caps lock. Posting in all capital letters makes your post harder to read, plus it is considered the text equivalent of shouting.
    Please tell us how you uninstalled Windows ME and how you reinstalled Windows 98?

I think the only way he can uninstall WinME is if he had a Win98 to WinME upgrade CD. Then he would just go into Control Panel - Add/Remove and uninstall WinME. The problem with doing this is as he's found out the Win98 files maybe missing or corrupt in someway so he's a bit stuck. The only way out of this is to buy a Win98SE CD of eBay they are quite cheap. I assume he has a floppy drive. Download a WinME BootDisk and get a friend who has a floppy drive to make him a boot disk. Then he can format the drive and install Win98SE. The other think he will have to do is find all the drivers for his additional hardware, video card, sound card, printer, scanner etc. He will need these for a new install.  ;)
    Windows XP 2002 SP3 - Desktop computer
    Vista Home Premium SP2 - Laptop
    Windows ME - Spare computer
    Windows 8 64bit - Laptop

Programming with VB.