Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD rom drive problems  (Read 2690 times)

mattc

CD rom drive problems
« on: May 28, 2005, 12:27:40 PM »
I'm having a very weird problem with my cd and dvd drive system.  

Here is a basic of what is going on as best as I can explain it:

If I put a CD in, it will read fine... but say I put another CD in before rebooting it will not read at all because the drive is still showing the folders from the first CD I put in.  Normally this would not be a problem but I'm trying to install a program that is set up to install with 4 CDs so you can see why its becoming a problem for me.

What can be causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: CD rom drive problems
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 12:30:36 PM »
Have you scanned for viruses? Which operating system are you using? Have you been keeping up with your Windows Updates? Have you ried updating the drivers for the drives?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

mattc

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 12:38:39 PM »
Scan pretty often and haven't had any virus problems. I always update windows when they updates pop up. The only problem I haven't tried is the drivers, but the reason is, I have no clue who the manufacturers are of the drives. I checked in system information and all it says is Standard CD-Rom Drives.  I bought the comp from dell a couple years ago, so I don't have a clue what they were using then, or what have you.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 12:45:53 PM »
Contact Dell and see if they have the drivers... Actually, did oyu get any restoration CD(s) with your computer? The original drivers would be on there...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 12:48:52 PM »
try cleaning  the cd-rom disks. a soft coth will surfice>>......and buy a lens cleaner for the cd-rom/dvd drive......grease/dust/dirt........pcs hate??
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 12:50:07 PM by merlin_2 »