Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics issue.  (Read 6400 times)

Harold92

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Graphics issue.
    « on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »
    Hey,

Here is my situation, I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1 with Bootcamp on my intel-based iMac. I use Vista on it for playing online games.

Recently while playing the game freezes and closes down, then a tool tip pops up saying there was a driver fault. This happened a few times but it was nothing major. Today i went out for 5 mins came back and the monitor was black, but with the backlight still up so i  knew the computer was on. I moved the mouse and typed on the keyboard to see if it was just sleeping but nothing happened so i turned it off at the back.

Now whenever i turn it on it works fine for 30 secs but then freezes and does some wierd graphical glitch. It normally just distorts the screen but i left it on for a while to see what it would do and the mac started flashing loads of diffrent colours.

Too me it sounds like a driver fault or maybe overheating but i fear it could be something worse. If anyone could help me out that would be awesome :).

My iMacs spec is:

3.06 GHz processor

nVidia Geforce GT 130 graphics processor with 512mb of GDDR3 memory

4gb ram

1tb hard drive space.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Graphics issue.
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »
    Harold, did you install the drivers for Vista from your Mac OS X install disc?

Also, are you running Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

Harold92

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »
      im not 100% sure i installed all of the drivers. And im running 32bit vista :)

Harold92

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »
        Harold, did you install the drivers for Vista from your Mac OS X install disc?

Actually no i didnt install the drivers of the OS disc. Atleast i think i didnt, it was quite a while ago :P

Harold92

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:19:17 AM »
          what would you reccomend doing?

*UPDATE*

This is happening on both OS X and Vista :S i have no clue what it could be
          « Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:35:49 AM by Harold92 »

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
          Harold, I would highly recommend popping in your Mac OS X installer disc and installing the vista drivers.

However, you mentioned now that it's happening with both OS X and vista.  If that's the case, it could be a hardware issue.

I would recommend bringing your laptop into apple.  THey'll look at it for free and if it's under warranty, fix it for free too.

You can sign up for an appointment on apple's website, just go to retail.apple.com and find your local store.

Harold92

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:50:54 AM »
            Harold, I would highly recommend popping in your Mac OS X installer disc and installing the vista drivers.

However, you mentioned now that it's happening with both OS X and vista.  If that's the case, it could be a hardware issue.

I would recommend bringing your laptop into apple.  THey'll look at it for free and if it's under warranty, fix it for free too.

You can sign up for an appointment on apple's website, just go to retail.apple.com and find your local store.

Ok thanks Socrates, i will pop in the OS X disc and see if anything changes, if not i will send off my mac. Thanks for ur help :)

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
            « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
            No problem.

Keep me posted.  I love to hear that things are working again.