Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No audio device on my computer + me making problems worse..  (Read 12863 times)

Mulreay

Re: No audio device on my computer + me making problems worse..
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »
alright well thanks for trying to help but i really don't know what i'm doing anymore

Did you search for your audio driver?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
    korrenmaa, There comes times in ones life that "trust" enters into the things one does. This is one of those times. You have posed a problem to the CH forums. People of varying degrees of knowledge and expertise are coming forward to try and help you. It is well understood that you don't know what the problem is being caused by and how to fix it. That is why your here. Some of the best minds (not necessarily mine) on the forum are now on board and offering to help. Now you need to determine to what degree you are prepared to follow their council.It is now evident from your picture that your sound device is NOT stand alone but is an "on board" sound device. Therefore there is in a practical sense no way to remove it. There are additional things that may become necessary if Patio's suggested method doesn't work. However it is absolutely a safe way to go and has little if any potential to cause further problems for your computer. If it works as it may then problem solved.
    What Patio has done is provide you with the web site for the specific drivers that you require for the sound device in your computer. You need to (using that same computer) go to that site and download to the computer those drivers. They should automatically associate themselves with your existing sound device and providing the device is not otherwise damaged allow it to work again. If it doesn't we can move on to the next solution. This is the least destructive,least costly and easiest solution--if it works.truenorth

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »
    korrenmaa, There comes times in ones life that "trust" enters into the things one does. This is one of those times. You have posed a problem to the CH forums. People of varying degrees of knowledge and expertise are coming forward to try and help you. It is well understood that you don't know what the problem is being caused by and how to fix it. That is why your here. Some of the best minds (not necessarily mine) on the forum are now on board and offering to help. Now you need to determine to what degree you are prepared to follow their council.It is now evident from your picture that your sound device is NOT stand alone but is an "on board" sound device. Therefore there is in a practical sense no way to remove it. There are additional things that may become necessary if Patio's suggested method doesn't work. However it is absolutely a safe way to go and has little if any potential to cause further problems for your computer. If it works as it may then problem solved.
    What Patio has done is provide you with the web site for the specific drivers that you require for the sound device in your computer. You need to (using that same computer) go to that site and download to the computer those drivers. They should automatically associate themselves with your existing sound device and providing the device is not otherwise damaged allow it to work again. If it doesn't we can move on to the next solution. This is the least destructive,least costly and easiest solution--if it works.truenorth

I could not have put it better myself.

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 09:39:29 PM »
      ok thank you very much for not giving up on me! :)
      i just got frusterated
      when i went to the intel site patio gave me the link to it was for "chipsets" i believe? and i couldnt find anything to download off that
      so i went to download center and i wasn't sure what to type in the search =/

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 07:52:37 AM »
        korrenmaa, By following Patio's initial web link and doing a search based on your "everest" summary and typing "INTEL 82801FB Ich6 " into the search box the following page was displayed. I believe i know which of the available options is the one you require.However i would prefer that Patio come back and specifically point out the one he believes is the right one. So just be patient and I'm sure he will come back to point you in the proper direction.
        http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Search.aspx?Prod_nm=intel+82801fb+ich6&lang=eng&MissingSearchTxt=Please+enter+a+valid+product+name%2C+filename+or+product+ID+%23.&x=15&y=3
        truenorth

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »
          alright thanks i'll check back later
          i was able to get myself to that page too but i didn't know which one to download

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 09:34:32 AM »
            well truenorth, if you wana suggest the one you think it is maybe i'll just try it?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
              OK  let's do it. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx  Go to the link i just listed. In the smallwindow open on that page which heads by"Automatically identify and find drivers" click on "Audio drivers for Intel". I haven't gone beyond that point but i believe it will take you to a site that will allow you to run a scan on your computer and tell you the chipset drivers appropriate for your audio device. It should then offer you the ability to download those precise drivers. From there it should download them and associate the downloaded drivers with the audio device on your computer. There may be an install function as well you will know that if required after the download. It may not be necessary .you will have to try it to find out. Then once the drivers are installed your audio device will function (if that was the problem). If after you have done this it still doesn't work come back and tell us what if anything has changed then we will move on if necessary. Hopefully it won't be necessary. truenorth

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »
                dang it didn't work ill post a picture of the results

[attachment deleted by admin]

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »
                  So it did not find your audio device on an Intel based search. So no drivers were offered for install. What precise model of  "slimline" do you have? Unless someone has any other ideas i am now leaning towards a standalone audio card and i want to determine what options your computer has for card installation via available empty slots. truenorth

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
                    i have an hp pavilion s7210n slimline
                    and my mom said she's pretty sure its an on board not a stand alone

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »
                      korrenmaa, Yes the aspect of what you have for an audio device currently installed is no longer an issue --it definitely is an on board audio device. However it may soon be my recommendation that you replace it with a standalone audio card. However do NOT go there yet as i am attempting consultation with another and hopefully we will know where we are going and what you should do very soon. Please be patient and  we will get back to you. You are not being abandoned.truenorth
                      P.S. This is your computer --in case you want to really get to know it.
                      http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00503102&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=1137823

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 08:36:59 AM »
                        i have an hp pavilion s7210n slimline
                        and my mom said she's pretty sure its an on board not a stand alone
                          Its an HP.  That means it comes with comprehensive hardware diagnostics that test all hardware provided by HP - including the on-board sound card.

Windows should load drivers automatically.  But will  not if hardware is defective.  Is your problem in Windows or with hardware.  Current you do not know.  And this is exactly why better computer manufacturers provide those comprehensive hardware diagnostics for free.

Diagnostics can be booted from the hard drive, may have been provided on a CD-Rom, or can be downloaded from HP's web site.  If the soundcard passes, then problem is in Windows.  If soundcard fails, problem may only be a setting change (such as from digital to analog output).

korrenmaa

Topic Starter

Rookie
                          « Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
                          alright, thank you truenorth i'll keep checking back till i hear from you again

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »
                            korrenmaa, I want you to be aware of what my dilemma is at the moment. I am seeking confirmation from another "genius" CH member that you have actually endeavored to install a "chipset driver" appropriate for your particular computer. It is essential that it was a "chipset driver" and not simply an "audio driver". There is a big difference between what a chipset driver does and what an audio driver does. A chipset driver allows components of the computer to be recognized and function with the computer motherboard (there are usually 2 regions of the motherboard that require a chipset--a south bridge and a north bridge). The fact that while it is clear that you do have an on-board audio card installed it is not being detected could be a result of an improper chipset driver. I am concerned that the process that i linked you to may only have been for an audio driver for the sound card. If the sound card is not detected (as was the case) of course the scan is not going to find an audio driver for it. I want to be sure it was the chipset driver that being searched for. So again i ask for a bit more patience before we move on to another type of solution. I hope our "genius" will appear soon or some other knowledgeable CH member that can go through the process that i guided you to and verify that it was the chipset and not the audio drivers. i have not forgotten you.truenorth